Akers Hall Government collects socks for 'Socktober' charity event

For the past few weeks, the Akers Hall Government has been collecting socks for a fundraising event called "Socktober."

The idea for Socktober came from the popular YouTube star Kid President, and after watching the video, Akers Hall Government decided it wanted to be a part of this fun charity event.

“Socktober is really an event that is going on across the country, it’s not just an Akers Hall thing,”    Michelle Newgent, assistant community director, said. “It’s an opportunity to either fundraise and get money or get socks for people who are homeless or for people who are struggling financially." 

Brigid Tepe, environmental studies and sustainability freshman and vice president of Akers Hall Government, said socks are the least donated item at homeless shelters, but are often the most needed. 

“A lot of places don’t accept used socks so it’s easy to give like a tee shirt or old sweatpants or a hat, you have to go and buy fresh socks and people don’t always want to make that effort," Tepe said. 

Newgent said even though it rhymes, people don’t stop donating when the month of October is over.

“It’s in October, not just because it rhymes but because we are coming into some colder months and it’s kind of important to meet the needs when people need them the most,” Newgent said.

Akers Hall Government has not yet decided what charity it will give the money and socks they raised to because there are so many homeless shelters in East Lansing, but it does have one local charity in mind — Haven House. 

Haven House is a homeless shelter which focuses solely on providing for children and families.

Newgent said this opportunity is a good way to give back to the community. 

"I think it can be really important for student leaders to exemplify that and find ways that they can serve in their community and expose people the the thousands of people living on the streets and there are tons of people right in our community that need our help,” Newgent said. 

Share and discuss “Akers Hall Government collects socks for 'Socktober' charity event ” on social media.