LJ Scott, Riley Bullough receive Big Ten weekly honors

<p>Junior linebacker Riley Bullough sacks Western Michigan quarterback Zach Terrell on during a game against Western Michigan on Sept. 4, 2015 at Waldo Stadium in Kalamazoo, Michigan. The Spartans beat the Broncos, 37-24. Julia Nagy/The State News</p>

Junior linebacker Riley Bullough sacks Western Michigan quarterback Zach Terrell on during a game against Western Michigan on Sept. 4, 2015 at Waldo Stadium in Kalamazoo, Michigan. The Spartans beat the Broncos, 37-24. Julia Nagy/The State News

Photo by Julia Nagy | The State News

MSU freshmen running back LJ Scott and junior linebacker Riley Bullough both received honors from the Big Ten Conference on Sept. 14. 

Bullough was named the Big Ten’s Defensive Player of the Week and Scott earned Co-Freshmen of the Week.

Scott compiled 76 yards on 11 carries and two key touchdowns in the Spartans 31-28 victory over Oregon on Saturday. His first touchdown (also his first career TD), was a six yard scamper that put MSU up 21-14 with 8:11 to go in the third quarter. 

The bulk of Scott’s carries came in the second quarter as he rushed eight times for 66 yards. His second and final touchdown saw him break three tackles en route to a 38 yard score. 

Bullough’s performance against Oregon helped cap off a great defensive showing by the Spartans as he recorded 14 tackles. Of the 14 tackles, nine were solo efforts and five were assists. He helped backstop the Spartans defensive counterattack as the Spartans held Oregon to 123 yards rushing; the lowest the Ducks have compiled since 2013 when they took on Stanford. 

Bullough’s key play of the game came on fourth and 16 with a minute to go in the ball game. Bullough is credited with the quarterback hurry that caused Vernon Adams Jr.’s pass to fall short and incomplete; sealing a Spartan victory. 

This is Bullough’s first career Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week honor and the first Defensive Player of the Week honor for MSU since Denicos Allen in 2013.

The Spartans will entertain Air Force at Spartan Stadium this Saturday with kickoff slated for noon. The Spartans enter the game ranked fourth in the Amway Coaches and Associated Press Polls.

Share and discuss “LJ Scott, Riley Bullough receive Big Ten weekly honors” on social media.