Friday, May 3, 2024

New fraternity Tau Kappa Epsilon established on campus

<p>Finance junior Nick Lochinski, right, shares a laugh with Tau Kappa Epsilon brother and marketing sophomore Mark Debney during Greek Fall Welcome on Sept. 3, 2015, at the Rock on Farm Lane. Tau Kappa Epsilon was reinstated this fall at Michigan State. Kennedy Thatch/The State News</p>

Finance junior Nick Lochinski, right, shares a laugh with Tau Kappa Epsilon brother and marketing sophomore Mark Debney during Greek Fall Welcome on Sept. 3, 2015, at the Rock on Farm Lane. Tau Kappa Epsilon was reinstated this fall at Michigan State. Kennedy Thatch/The State News

Last semester, a new fraternity was added to the list of now 30 organizations within the Interfraternity Council.  

Already established as a national fraternity, Tau Kappa Epsilon, or TKE, was started by political theory and constitutional democracy sophomore Ashwin Sanzgiri and forestry junior Zach Wolfe.

After transferring from Michigan Technological University and leaving the TKE chapter there, Wolfe, the hegemon, or new member educator, got the idea to start TKE at MSU when he noticed there wasn’t an established chapter.

“It’s a really good opportunity when you can play by your own rules,” Wolfe said. “I didn’t want to be a part of something I didn’t like.”

Sanzgiri said TKE’s goal is to create a brotherhood of well balanced men who can discuss social and political issues while also knowing how to have fun.

“We try to avoid the frat boy stereotype and just take everyone for who they are,” Sanzgiri said. “We’re about furthering not just ourselves but also MSU.”

Starting off as a colony, they have 30 members but they’re not letting their size discourage them from growing. Their goal right now is to get at least 50 members so they can receive a charter and become an official chapter. Once the charter comes, a house is next on the to-do list. 

Rumors of members from the discontinued fraternity Alpha Tau Omega, or ATO, joining TKE have been floating about the Greek community. However, Sanzgiri said members of ATO are not connected to the new fraternity in any way. 

ATO lost their charter during the spring semester of 2015 and are no longer active on campus. There are rules which prevent members of one fraternity who have accepted a bid and been initiated, from joining another. 

“Regardless of if you got kicked off or not, you’re not allowed to start a new chapter,” Sabourin said.

TKE was at MSU once before, about nine years ago. Wolfe said the fraternity had previously lost its charter due to a continuous debt.

“It’s a pretty big feat to start something like that from the ground up,” Geoff Sabourin, Interfraternity Council president and food industry management senior, said. “We’re just excited to see what they bring to the greek community and the Michigan State community.”

Share and discuss “New fraternity Tau Kappa Epsilon established on campus ” on social media.