MSU football focused on containing WMU running back Jarvion Franklin

<p>Western Michigan running back Jarvion Franklin makes his way down the field during the game against Ohio University on Oct. 25, 2014, at Waldo Stadium at Western Michigan in Kalamazoo, Mich. </p>

Western Michigan running back Jarvion Franklin makes his way down the field during the game against Ohio University on Oct. 25, 2014, at Waldo Stadium at Western Michigan in Kalamazoo, Mich. 

Photo by GS Photo/WMU Athletics | The State News

Franklin was named the Mid American Conference (MAC) Offensive Player of the Year and MAC Freshman of the Year in 2014 after rushing for 1,551 yards and 24 touchdowns.

“He is a great dynamic running back,” junior defensive back Demetrious Cox said. “He has got great power from what I’ve seen on film and I’m excited to play against him.

At 6 feet tall and 220 pounds, Franklin is able to maintain a low center of gravity through the hole and has good speed as his 40 yard dash is recorded by NCSA recruiting at 4.47 seconds.

“He is a tough back. He likes to run guys over,” junior linebacker Riley Bullough said. “We’ve got a great defensive line that is going to hold it down up front and you know, make it easier for the backers I think.”

Franklin is one of four 1,000-yard-rushers from 2014 to be on this year’s schedule.

“I think we are going to establish stopping the run,” Cox said. I think that is the biggest thing for us is making sure that we make them one dimensional. That has usually been our focus as a defense. Stop the run first and work on everything second so that is a big priority for us.”

In 2014, MSU faced six eventual 1,000-yard-rushers and only one of them, Elliott, rushed over his average yards per game. Tevin Coleman, formerly of Indiana, and Ezekiel Elliott were the only two aforementioned rushers to breach 100 yards against the Spartans.

“We’re going to do our deal, play our plan,” Dantonio said. “I think that’s who we are. That’s what we do. So it’s all predicated defensively. Better stop the run. Better defend against the pass. Better pressure the quarterback.”

Dantonio also highlighted junior wide receivers Corey Davis and Daniel Bravermanch and junior quarterback Zach Terrell as impact players for the Broncos.

Bullough said Friday is going to be a huge game for college football fans across the state.

“I grew up with a lot of people that went to colleges in Michigan and they are all going to the game so you know it is going to be hype,” Bullough said. “I feel like from spring until now has just taken forever just because we are so excited to play and now.”

Share and discuss “MSU football focused on containing WMU running back Jarvion Franklin” on social media.