Five things to know before MSU football takes on CMU

<p>Head coach Mark Dantonio watches from the sidelines in the second quarter during a game against Air Force on Sept. 19, 2015, at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Falcons, 35-21. Julia Nagy/The State News</p>

Head coach Mark Dantonio watches from the sidelines in the second quarter during a game against Air Force on Sept. 19, 2015, at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Falcons, 35-21. Julia Nagy/The State News

Photo by Julia Nagy | The State News

FAMILIAR FACES

CMU defensive backs coach Archie Collins played safety at MSU, lettering in 1996-97 and then assisted with the coaching of the defensive backs and special teams from 2010-12.

The Chippewas defensive coordinator and linebackers coach Greg Colby was a graduate assistant at MSU from 1987-88 and then he returned as a defensive assistant from 1995-97.

Also, CMU offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Morris Watts was an offensive coordinator at MSU from 1986-90 before returning to MSU the first time as an offensive coordinator from 1992-94. Watts returned to MSU again as an offensive coordinator from 1999-02 and briefly served as the interim head coach at the end of the 2002 season.

PRECISION PASSING

CMU’s junior quarterback Cooper Rush is having a great season early on. He is completing just over 70 percent of his passes with 90-of-128 passing for 983 yards, five touchdowns and three interceptions through three games.

"I think he’s a challenge for our entire football team."

“I think he’s a challenge for our entire football team,” Dantonio said of Rush. “You’ve got to get a pass rush on him. He’s poised. He’s big. He’s almost 230 pounds.”

HISTORY

Saturday’s game will be the 10th time the Spartans meet the Chippewas. The series stands at 6-3 in favor of MSU.

Interestingly enough CMU won the first two meetings in 1991 and 1992. The only other loss for MSU in the series came in 2009.

NEVER FORGET

Dantonio has not forgotten his team’s loss to the Chippewas on Sept. 12, 2009. CMU edged MSU by a score of 29-27 in Spartan Stadium giving Dantonio a 2-1 record against the Chippewas as the head coach at MSU.

"Yeah, I remember that date pretty vividly in 2009, so we brought it up."

“Yeah, I remember that date pretty vividly in 2009, so we brought it up,” Dantonio said. “We talked about it a little bit in terms of what went down in that scenario.

CHANCE ON BIG STAGE AGAINST FAMILIAR FOES

For the players from Michigan on both rosters this is an opportunity to play against familiar foes and friends.

Dantonio talked about what this game means to the fans and for Michigan.

“I think Central Michigan, Western fans would prefer to come to Michigan State,” Dantonio said. They’re going to come more. This is important to them as well. Players from those particular programs get excited about the opportunity to play here because it is in-state, because you’re competing against people you know.

“Same with us, we’re competing against people we know, our players know, they physically know them. So I think it’s good, you know, when games are a little bit more interesting.”

Share and discuss “Five things to know before MSU football takes on CMU” on social media.