Dantonio likely to redshirt running back Delton Williams

<p>Junior running back Delton Williams laughs before a game against Air Force on Sept. 19, 2015, at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Falcons, 35-21. Julia Nagy/The State News</p>

Junior running back Delton Williams laughs before a game against Air Force on Sept. 19, 2015, at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Falcons, 35-21. Julia Nagy/The State News

MSU head football coach Mark Dantonio seems prepared to redshirt junior running back Delton Williams, he indicated in a press conference Tuesday. Williams has shown flashes of talent, but his off the field troubles in the past have left him buried deep on the depth chart.

"We're just not going to play him until he takes significant reps," Dantonio said. "I feel like that's -- unless something changes this week, that's the way I would put it.

"Just don't want to waste a year on him if that's what he wants to do in that kind of situation. He's got to carry the football. I just don't know if there's enough carries to split three ways."

A redshirt seems like a decent option, but all of Williams' competitors are younger than him.

LJ Scott is a true freshman and Madre London is a redshirt freshman. A redshirt for Williams doesn't make sense as it just prolongs his stay even though there still won't be reps for him.

Terry's involvement

Sophomore quarterback Damion Terry has been used in the offense multiple times this season, but every time he's made an appearance he is either used as a distraction or on a design run.

Teams seem to be cheating when Terry is in the game because they know the run is coming. Dantonio admitted he has only used Terry for certain situations, but he believes in his quarterback's ability to throw as well.

"I think we put him in for specific reasons right now, but he's certainly been a quarterback for us and he's done a lot of things for us," Dantonio said. "He just needs some game experience. I think Tyler O'Connor same thing; he hasn't played since last year...we were hoping to get them that experience this past weekend, but just the way the game flowed at the end there (we couldn't)."

Montez Sweat suspension

Dantonio also announced redshirt freshman defensive end Montez Sweat is suspended. An explanation was not provided as to why Sweat is suspended, but Dantonio did say it is not long term.

Share and discuss “Dantonio likely to redshirt running back Delton Williams” on social media.