MSU cornerback Vayante Copeland reportedly may be out for season

<p>MSU cornerback Vayante Copeland</p>

MSU cornerback Vayante Copeland

Photo by Matthew Mitchell | The State News

MSU defensive back Vayante Copland is reportedly out for the remainder of the season with a neck injury, according to a report by the Detroit Free Press.

"It broke my heart when he texted us and said he was out for the season," junior defensive back Demetrious Cox said to Joe Rexrode of the Detroit Free Press following the game on Saturday. "It was shocking, especially a younger guy who has come so far. He's making plays, obviously, and it was tough. But it's the next-man-up mentality. No matter what happens, somebody's got to be able to step up and make plays."

According to Rexrode's report, Spartan Athletics have not officially addressed the injury. 

Copeland started the first two games and had seven tackles with and an interception against Western Michigan University in week one. His injury came in the fourth quarter against Oregon.

Copeland wore street clothes on the sideline Saturday, along with a neck brace. Starting in his place was senior defensive back Arjen Colquhoun. 

Colquhoun played in 11 games this past season and has six tackles this season with zero pass break-ups. Junior defensive back Darian Hicks saw playing time in Copeland's place as well. Hicks played in 13 games this past season and has three tackles in 2015 with zero break-ups. Hicks suffered from mono in the preseason.

In documented cases of football neck sprains, players are usually out for a minimum of four to six weeks with missed time for extreme injuries extending much beyond, according to the U.S. Center for Sports Medicine

Share and discuss “MSU cornerback Vayante Copeland reportedly may be out for season” on social media.