MSU students rally behind Bernie Sanders' campaign

<p>Lansing resident Steve Monti, center, discusses treasurer news during a meeting for Bernie Sanders supporters Sept. 2, 2015, at Clara's Lansing Station Restaurant on Michigan Ave. The supporters meet every Wednesday night to discuss plans to increase awareness for Bernie. Kennedy Thatch/The State News</p>

Lansing resident Steve Monti, center, discusses treasurer news during a meeting for Bernie Sanders supporters Sept. 2, 2015, at Clara's Lansing Station Restaurant on Michigan Ave. The supporters meet every Wednesday night to discuss plans to increase awareness for Bernie. Kennedy Thatch/The State News

Chalk drawings have begun to adorn the sidewalks north of campus, spreading down past the Red Cedar and into the heart of the university. They bare political slogans, opinions, and often hashtags such as #feelthebern. This mass effort is the product of several groups of dedicated students, rallying under democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders.

Composed of MSU and Lansing Community College students, Students for Sanders East Lansing or SFSEL has shown a conjoined, dedicated effort to promoting their chosen candidate at multiple on-campus events.

“College students are a really under-appreciated demographic, they really don’t get out and vote, and we can make a lot of change (by getting them to),” Students for Sanders East Lansing president Brieann Sauer said.

Occasionally holding meetings at The Rock, members have also attended Welcome Week festivities, such as Spartification, handing out fliers and attempting to rally students to their cause.

“I think it definitely helps to have a student organization just pushing for more people to get involved… not even necessarily (with) our candidate, but in the system in general,” SFSEL vice president and political science prelaw student Aaron Stevens said. 

“What I like most about Bernie is that he’s a genuine politician. He’s been fighting for civil rights since he was 23 years old, and he marched with Martin Luther King Jr. The man is an inspiration.”

Movements that support Bernie Sanders' campaign that have popped up in the area include Students for Sanders East Lansing, Lansing for Bernie, and the MSU for Bernie Sanders facebook group.

“I first heard about Students for Sanders East Lansing on the James Madison class of 2018 page that I follow on facebook,” comparative cultures and politics and education sophomore Dan Martel said. 

“You definitely don’t have to be in James Madison or political science to join, though. We’re actually a very small minority in the group.”

Groups in the MSU community supporting other presidential candidates, on both sides of the political spectrum, are bound to speak up as well when the election season begins to unfold.

Share and discuss “MSU students rally behind Bernie Sanders' campaign ” on social media.