Plans to renovate Bailey Community Center unanimously approved

<p>Bailey Community Center on&nbsp;Jan 30, 2015, in East Lansing.</p>

Bailey Community Center on Jan 30, 2015, in East Lansing.

Photo by Kennedy Thatch | The State News

East Lansing City Council unanimously approved a site plan, ordinance allowing for a service charge in lieu of taxes and a resolution to support a low income housing tax credit grant and historical preservation tax incentives application for the Bailey Community Center project at the Sept. 15 council meeting. 

The site plan for the project includes renovating and adding to the existing building at 300 Bailey Street to provide 25 senior independent living apartments. The first floor of the building will include a gym and daycare. The second floor of the building will consist primarily of the two-story gym and residential units, along with a lounge and computer room.The third floor will be entirely residential space.

Mayor Nathan Triplett said the city has completed all of its requirements to get the project going, which has plans to renovate and build an addition onto the historical building. It is now in the hands of the state and the Capital Area Housing Partnership Triplett said. 

"All of this will get put together with materials that CAHP is compiling and will be submitted to the state housing authority when they review the organization’s application for tax credits that are an important component of the project’s financing," Triplett said. 

"I am looking forward to the project becoming a reality and having some housing dedicated to those 55 and older in the city of East Lansing," said Council member Kathleen Boyle  

Although the plan was unanimously approved, Mayor Pro Tem Diane Goddeeris said not all residents were in support. Some residents believe the site should be used to bring in tax revenue for the city and that giving a service fee to the project is not the right decision. The concerns were taken into consideration, but Goddeeris said she believes the project approved at Tuesday's council meeting is right for the city.

"I believe it’s the right thing to do. I believe the school has a history in our community. I believe this project has some really strong benefits for our community," said Goddeeris. 

The Capital Area Housing Partnership will have until Oct. 1 to submit their application for the Low Income Housing Tax Credit grant and Historic Preservation Tax Incentives application. The state will then take several months to review the application before any further steps involving the project can take place. 

Share and discuss “Plans to renovate Bailey Community Center unanimously approved ” on social media.