Spartans continue preseason camps with second jersey scrimmage

<p>Defensive line players line up to take a snap next to the Duffy Daugherty Football Building on August 8, 2015 during the first practice of fall. Joshua Abraham/The State News</p>

Defensive line players line up to take a snap next to the Duffy Daugherty Football Building on August 8, 2015 during the first practice of fall. Joshua Abraham/The State News

Photo by Joshua Abraham | The State News

The offense defeated the defense, 34-18, in the second jersey scrimmage of preseason camp Saturday in Spartan Stadium according to a press release. With the first game coming on Sept. 4, the offense and defense are testing each other for the regular season.

“We need to sort of change gears a little bit (next week) and get off (concentrating on) ourselves and move to our first opponent, Western Michigan," head coach Mark Dantonio said. "We need to finish up some (game) situations; go back and (review) them a little bit more. We also need to study ourselves and make sure we’re playing the right guys.

The scrimmage implements a modified scoring system, the contest lasted about two and a half hours and the team ran 155 plays including special teams.

“The offense produced some explosive plays,”Dantonio said. “I thought (Madre) London played very, very well, and our quarterback play was excellent. The thing you’re impressed about from a coaching standpoint is zero turnovers. Any time you don’t turn it over in 100-plus plays, that’s a positive. We’ve got to continue to strive to stop the unforced errors and penalties … things of that nature. That’s all a part of this (process)."

Dantonio mentioned that he tried to get the whole team involved in the scrimmage. The coach was impressed by his quarterback play, mentioning that senior Connor Cook, junior Tyler O'Connor and sophomore Damion Terry all played well.

“We tried to play everybody, especially the guys we need to find a little bit more about," Dantonio said. "Certain guys we know a lot about, so we don’t play them as much. We worked our guys today."

Dantonio said that it is important to get everyone reps despite the presence of a plethora of veterans. Should a veteran go down, much like in the case of Ed Davis, the next man up has to be ready.

“Obviously, we have a veteran football team, but there are always some young guys pressing (for playing time) and doing some things well,” Dantonio said. “They may take a step back (in a practice or scrimmage) and then they move forward, so it’s all about the reps. We’re trying to get everybody reps, so they can show what they’ve got. That’s why we go 110 plays (in a scrimmage) and keep pushing (forward).”

Share and discuss “Spartans continue preseason camps with second jersey scrimmage ” on social media.