Public hearing on recreational use of roofs ban set for Tuesday

East Lansing City Council is expected to take action on prohibiting the recreational use of roofs at their Tuesday meeting. Before a decision to approve, reject or defer the ordinance is made, the public will have opportunity to voice their concerns.

The council meeting starts at 7 p.m. Tuesday at the East Lansing City Hall, 410 Abbot Rd.

City Manager George Lahanas and East Lansing Interim police chief Jeff Murphy have voiced their support for the ordinance, saying that it boils down to preventing accidents which have happened both here and elsewhere.

Media and information junior Johnny Mullen said the dangers of lounging on roofs are mitigated by responsible college students who understand the risks and take precaution.

“I understand the safety precautions and why they want to implement this rule," Mullen said about the ordinance in a prior interview. "Being that we are now 18, 19 and 20-plus-years-old, we are adults and the decisions we make are our own responsibilities."

To read more on the rationale behind the ordinance and students' opinions of it, check here.

Share and discuss “Public hearing on recreational use of roofs ban set for Tuesday” on social media.