MSU football players continue to dominate award watch lists

<p>Jacksonville Jaguars (Round Three, Pick 70): The Jaguars also need a center, but maybe not as desperately as San Diego. The Chargers might be the best fit for Allen, but Jacksonville is a close second, and San Diego is likely to consider Notre Dame’s Nick Martin or Texas A&M’s Mike Matthews over Allen. That leaves Jacksonville, four spots behind San Diego. The team has a mobile quarterback in Blake Bortles, so run protection is more valuable to the Jaguars, and that’s what Allen does best.</p>

Jacksonville Jaguars (Round Three, Pick 70): The Jaguars also need a center, but maybe not as desperately as San Diego. The Chargers might be the best fit for Allen, but Jacksonville is a close second, and San Diego is likely to consider Notre Dame’s Nick Martin or Texas A&M’s Mike Matthews over Allen. That leaves Jacksonville, four spots behind San Diego. The team has a mobile quarterback in Blake Bortles, so run protection is more valuable to the Jaguars, and that’s what Allen does best.

Photo by Erin Hampton | The State News

With success comes recognition and several MSU football players have big expectations in the upcoming season. A majority of the annual college football awards have put out watch lists that feature Spartans. 

Senior center Jack Allen has been named to the 2015 watch list for the Rimington Trophy, presented to college football’s most outstanding center every year since 2000. Allen was one of six finalists for the award last season, making him a favorite to take it home this year. 

Finalists for the Rimington Trophy  will be named on Dec. 7 and the winner will be announced at the Home Depot College Football Awards Show on Dec. 10 in Atlanta, Georgia. The formal presentation of the award will be made on Jan. 16, 2016, in Lincoln, Nebraska. 

“Jack has spent the two previous offseasons studying video of NFL centers to help him gain an edge,” offensive line coach Mark Staten said in a statement. “Already a first-team All-American as a junior, he has the work ethic, passion and patience to become the most outstanding center in college football.” 

Allen and junior offensive tackle Jack Conklin have also been named to the 2015 Outland Trophy watch list, presented to college football’s most outstanding interior lineman since 1946. 

“Obviously, I’m biased, but I truly believe Jack Allen and Jack Conklin are the best players at their respective positions in college football,” Staten was quoted saying. 

Semifinalists for the Outland Trophy will be announced on Nov. 19. Three finalists for the award will be named on Nov. 24, with the winner also being announced at the Home Depot College Football Awards Show. The formal presentation of the award will be made on Jan. 14, 2016, in Omaha, Nebraska. 

Junior tight end Josiah Price has been named to the 2015 watch list for the John Mackey Award, presented to college football’s most outstanding tight end every year since 2000. 

“Josiah Price is a very versatile player for our team, and his experience is a big asset,” co-offensive coordinator and tight ends coach Jim Bollman said in a statement. “Josiah works diligently to be a consistent blocker, both on and off the line of scrimmage as well as in movement situations. He’s an excellent route runner, with fine hands. Josiah has been an exceptional receiver for us, especially in the red zone.” 

Semifinalists for the Mackey Award will be announced on Nov. 16. Finalists for the award will be identified on Nov. 24, with the winner being announced on Dec. 9. The formal presentation of the award will be made at the Home Depot College Football Awards Show.

After being named to the 2015 Bednarik Award Watch List senior defensive end Shilique Calhoun has also been named to the 2015 Bronko Nagurski Trophy watch list by the Football Writers Association of
America. The FWAA has presented a National Defensive Player of the Year Award since 1993 and in the name of Bronko Nagurski since 1995, according to a press release announcing the list. 

“There’s no question that Shilique Calhoun would have been a high pick if he had elected to enter this year’s NFL Draft, but with another season under his belt, he can further enhance his status as a first-round selection and firmly establish himself as a Top 20 draft choice,” head coach Mark Dantonio was quoted saying in an msuspartans.com article. “Not only is Shilique an outstanding player, but he’s a tremendous team leader. He’s become invaluable in his capacity as a captain.”

Speaking of Dantonio, the head coach wasn’t left out of all of the award watch list fun — Dantonio was named to the 2015 Dodd Trophy Watch List. 

The award honors the coach of a team who enjoys a successful football season, while also stressing the importance of academic excellence and character, as did Coach Dodd’s teams during his 22 years as head football coach of the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets, according to a release announcing the list.

Share and discuss “MSU football players continue to dominate award watch lists” on social media.