Connor Cook named to the 2015 Maxwell Award Watch List

<p>Junior quarterback Connor Cook watches a play during the game against Michigan on Oct. 25, 2014, at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Wolverines, 35-11. Jessalyn Tamez/The State News </p>

Junior quarterback Connor Cook watches a play during the game against Michigan on Oct. 25, 2014, at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Wolverines, 35-11. Jessalyn Tamez/The State News

Photo by Jessalyn Tamez | The State News

MSU senior quarterback Connor Cook has been named to the 2015 Maxwell Award Watch List. The Maxwell Award has been presented to college football’s player of the year since 1937, according to a press release announcing the watch list.

“Over the last two years, Connor has been presented with opportunities to emerge as a leader and he’s certainly grown in that capacity,” quarterbacks coach Brad Salem said. “He’s also shown the ability to manage the high expectations that go along with playing the quarterback position in this program.”

The award is named in honor of Robert W. “Tiny” Maxwell, who played guard at the University of Chicago before transferring to Swarthmore College where he became a Walter Camp All-American in 1905.

Cook took major strides as a starter from his sophomore year to his junior year. Cook became the full-time starter in his sophomore year — passing for 2,755 yards with an average of 196.8 yards per game, posting a 135.5 passing efficiency rating and throwing for 22 touchdowns and six interceptions.

In his junior year, Cook took several steps forward in multiple facets of his game, his only setback being increased interception numbers. As a junior, Cook passed for 3,214 yards with an average of 247.2 yards per game, he posted a 149.4 passing efficiency rating and threw for 24 touchdowns and eight interceptions.

“Connor has displayed resiliency throughout his career, having the ability to put aside negative plays and create positive ones,” Salem said. “He’s truly a joy to coach because he’s driven to improve in every aspect of the game.”

Semifinalists for the Maxwell Award will be announced on Nov. 2. Three finalists for the award will be identified on Nov. 23, with the winner announced at the Home Depot College Football Awards Show on Dec. 10 in Atlanta, Georgia.

The formal presentation of the award will be made at the Maxwell Football Club Awards Gala on March 11, 2016 in Atlantic City, N.J.

Share and discuss “Connor Cook named to the 2015 Maxwell Award Watch List” on social media.