MSU football adds four new commits to defensive line

It was a big weekend for MSU football on the recruiting trail — just last week the class of 2016 had no defensive linemen and in a span of four days the Spartans have received verbal commitments from two defensive ends and two defensive tackles in what could be an impressive front four in the years to come. MSU now has the No. 6 overall recruiting class and 17 total commits. 

Shortly before the first commitment of the weekend, four-star wide receiver commit Cameron Chambers hinted that some recruiting news would be on the way.

Chambers and the other members of the class of 2016 or the "dream team" as they've dubbed themselves, have been pushing hard for other recruits to commit to MSU.

The first commit of the weekend came from four-star defensive end and the No. 1-ranked player in the state of Illinois Josh King on Friday. He cited the "dream team" as a major factor in his commitment, according to a tweet from Beth Long, a Scout Media field reporter.

Shortly after the commitment of King, head coach Mark Dantonio made a clear reference to the commitment via Twitter — not being able to make an official statement on King until he signs his National Letter of Intent. The coach was excited that there is some "MAGIC" coming to MSU and ended his tweet with #Hornets, a nod to the mascot of King's high school.

The next recruit to join the class was four-star defensive end and the No. 1-ranked player in the state of Indiana Auston Robertson, whose impressive offer list included Ohio State, Alabama and Notre Dame, among others.

David Harns of isportsweb shared a few images via Twitter of the 6-foot-5, 260-pound defensive end surrounded by family and friends as he chose MSU.

The third commitment came from four-star defensive tackle Mike Panasiuk who had offers from Baylor, Missouri and Wisconsin, among others.

Panasiuk, a 6-foot-3, 285-pound prospect out of Illinois, received his offer from MSU less than a week ago on June 4 and it didn't take much time for the young man to announce his commitment.

The fourth commitment in four days came from four-star defensive tackle Naquan Jones who, according to Erik Sargent's Twitter feed, Jones told the coaching staff he had made his decision two weeks ago. Jones apparently also knew King and Panasiuk would commit before they had announced their respective decisions.

The members of the MSU "dream team" seem to be well connected with one another, and it is only a matter of time until more recruits announce their decision. 

"Feels like every time I refresh my Twitter we get a new big time recruit," sophomore quarterback Damion Terry tweeted Sunday. 

Chambers again chimed in, telling Terry to "#staytuned big bro."

MSU is building momentum on the recruiting trail and these verbal commitments seem to be aiding them in swaying more recruits. 

Videos and highlights of the recruits on their 247 Sports pages can be viewed using the hyperlinks on the respective players' names.

Share and discuss “MSU football adds four new commits to defensive line” on social media.