Sunday, September 22, 2024

Start of summer means farmer's and flea markets

From local Michigan foods to antiques and collectibles, a variety of outdoor markets exist for Lansing area residents to enjoy in the summer.

Heather Surface, market manager for East Lansing’s farmers market, said the market features everything from produce to meat and fish to fresh baked goods.

“The goal is to have people get all their groceries in one spot,” Surface said.

Every Sunday from June 7 to October 25, 24 vendors will gather in Valley Court Park from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. The vendors hail from all over Michigan, including East Lansing, she said.

“It’s all Michigan produce; Michigan raised livestock, fish out of our lakes,” Surface said, “pretty proud of our Michigan market.”

In addition, the market has produce that will be picked the week of, baked goods made the night before, and fresh caught fish, Surface said.

Aside from the freshness, Surface encourages people to buy from East Lansing’s farmers market because it supports local farmers and helps our state’s economy: money spent internally in Michigan increases money circulation in Michigan.

Though East Lansing’s farmer’s market offers various foods, MSU’s student organic farm stand focuses on produce.

According to its website, the farm stand happens every Thursday from 11 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., and it lasts from the beginning of April to the end of October.

The produce is all grown on MSU’s organic farm by student organic farmers. The farm stand is located on Farm Lane across from Erickson Hall. MSU organic farms website list what produce, flowers, and herbs will be available at the stand in the spring, summer, and fall.

On the opposite spectrum of outdoor markets is The Mega Mall’s flea market, held once a month.

Rich Kelley, the mall’s owner, said he started the outdoor flea market 11 years ago and has kept it going ever since.

“They’re super crazy, these last couple years it’s been nuts,” Kelley said, adding their 100 outdoor vendor spaces sell out every month.

The Mega Mall, in Lansing, holds the flea market the third Sunday of every month, starting in April and ending in October, Kelley said.

He said the markets are free to the public and the amount of people who attend has been increasing in recent years.

Kelley said this is due to society’s idea of flea market’s changing, and he thinks it has now become trendier, even among young people. He adds college students come and buy cool stuff to decorate their dorms or apartments with, citing one who bought an old-fashioned type writer for decoration.

The flea market isn’t necessarily about people coming and buying stuff, Kelley said, but about the experience.

“We promote the mall as Michigan’s most unique shopping experience,” Kelley said, adding the market has everything from antiques to collectibles, and there’s something for everyone.

Share and discuss “Start of summer means farmer's and flea markets” on social media.