Friday, May 17, 2024

Changes to marijuana ordinance and city charter have impact on students

Tuesday night, voters said yes to both local Proposals 1 and 2.

Proposal 1 decriminalized marijuana in East Lansing, but under Michigan state law marijuana possession is still a misdemeanor.

At state level marijuana possession is illegal, Prop 1 passing on Election Day will not affect the state’s law or the enforcement of said law. However it may cause confusion among local civilians and MSU students.

According to Michigan State University Police, MSU policies have not changed, they are in accordance with Michigan state law. Students, employees and visitors may not use or possess marijuana on campus as MSU remains a drug-free and alcohol-free campus.

East Lansing is under state law as well so residents may be confused as to what this proposal means, said ELPD Lieutenant Steve Gonzalez.

"One of our biggest concerns with this change is that it very well could lead to some confusion for a lot of people," Gonzalez said. "We want to make sure that everybody is aware of the fact that you're still subject to receiving a charge or citation under state law."

Changes have been made as far as the local ordinance is concerned, but state-wide law has not.

The charge for possession of marijuana will now go through the Ingham County Prosecutor's office as opposed to the City Attorney's office, Gonzalez said.

Local Proposal 2 passed as well, amending the East Lansing City Council charter.

The changes will allow East Lansing City Council to sell local property with a simple majority vote rather than the super majority of 60 percent originally needed.

Amending the city’s charter will permit the selling of blighted property with a majority vote and this could advance the reconstruction of some spots downtown and in the Park District.

“Passing this ballot allows the city and the voters to consider how to best use our city land and to hopefully move forward on some redevelopments in our downtown while still protecting our voter’s rights to make that decision," Shanna Draheim, spokeswoman of Citizens for Modernizing East Lansing’s Charter said.

Prop 2 would allow the property assets of the city to be sold with a lower vote by the people making the sales simpler and the revitalizing of downtown a possibility.

"I think it's a really important step for East Lansing and for the vision of moving our community forward," said Draheim.

Share and discuss “Changes to marijuana ordinance and city charter have impact on students” on social media.