Softball swept by Ohio State over the weekend, losing streak is now at seven games

It was a forgettable weekend for the softball team, who extended its losing streak to seven games on Sunday afternoon.

MSU (16-24 overall, 1-11 Big Ten) fell to Ohio State (22-16 overall, 6-6 Big Ten) at Secchia Stadium, 15-5. In accordance with the “eight run” rule, the game was called after five innings.

“The only thing we can really do is work hard through (this skid),” senior first baseman McKinzie Freimuth said. “You just have to move on and get the next one.”

The Spartans also lost Friday’s game, 6-4 and Saturday’s game, 8-4 against the Buckeyes.

Ohio State tagged freshman pitcher Bridgette Rainey for two runs early after junior catcher Cammi Prantl sent a two run homer to left center in the first inning.

The Spartans went down in order in the bottom half of the inning and Ohio State picked up where they left off, tallying seven more runs in the bottom of the second inning.

Rainey was pulled after one and two thirds innings. It’s been a constant struggle for Rainey, who came into the game with a 11.97 ERA.

MSU turned to freshman pitcher Kristina Zalewski to get the final out of the inning but even she had a rough go at it, allowing three unearned runs to cross the plate.

The domination only got worse from there, Ohio State put another run up in the fourth inning and three runs in the fifth inning to bring the score to 15-0.

The Spartans didn’t get their first hit until the bottom of the third inning when senior right fielder Alyssa McBride singled to center.

Freshman outfielder Sydney Heath grounded out to second base to bring in MSU’s first run, junior third baseman Jacquie Reiser, in the bottom of the fifth inning.

Freimuth doubled in a pair of runs later in the inning. Freimuth leads the team with nine doubles this season.

The Spartans finished with five runs in the fifth inning but it wasn’t enough to continue play.

“There’s no quit in us and we compete hard,” head coach Jacquie Joseph said. “But we have to sustain it, You just can’t hit when the game is out of reach.”

MSU has not was won a game since March 29 against Penn State.

The Spartans will try and stop the bleeding on Tuesday evening when they take on Eastern Michigan at 5 p.m.  

Share and discuss “Softball swept by Ohio State over the weekend, losing streak is now at seven games” on social media.