Monday, October 28, 2024

RCAHppella #TBT show to take place Thursday

Arts and humanities senior Becky Barron and the rest of RCAHppella — a coed a cappella group within MSU's Residential College in the Arts and Humanities — were thinking hard of a theme for their final concert of the semester.

But when Barron got to thinking how RCAHppella always uses social media to promote their events, They wanted to do a concert that showcased some oldies and their concerts always take place on Thursdays, it didn't take long for her to suggest a #TBT themed concert to come into form.

The show will take place Thursday, April 30 at 8 p.m. in the RCAH Auditorium in the basement of Snyder-Phillips Hall.

The concert will feature songs from as far back as the '40s and '50s, all the way to songs from the early 2000's, Barron said, and is a chance for RCAHppella to showcase what they've been working on for months.

"We've been working on the music for this concert for the bulk of the spring semester, especially the set that we performed at the International Championship of Collegiate A Cappella (ICCA)," arts and humanities sophomore Colt Hearld said in an email. 

In addition to the free admission concert, RCAHppella will also hold a bake sale during the event in collaboration with Generate Help 2 Heal Generations to raise money to send medical supplies to countries in need. 

Barron said RCAHppella always tries to attach a charity fundraiser to their shows. For example, when they had a Hunger Games-themed concert in Fall 2013, a food drive was held on the side.

"It just means a lot for us to be able to incorporate that into our shows," Barron said.

Hearld agrees, and also brings up the fact that their arts and humanities backgrounds makes it come natural for them.

"We are fortunate enough to all share a passion for music, activism, and community involvement and our concert is definitely a great way for us to combine all of those elements," Hearld said. "Beyond that though, we always have a great audience that makes these endeavors such a success."

But if there's something else this concert does for RCAHppella, it's that it also serves as a curtain call of sorts for their seniors.

"For me, this concert is really bittersweet because our three oldest members are graduating at the end of this semester but I think that everyone is excited to hopefully give them a great send off," Hearld said.

And for Barron, who's been part of the group for four years now, this last show is going to mean the world to her.

"I'm going to be very emotional," Barron said. "We are just one huge family ... Not only am I going to miss performing with them, I'm going to miss being with them on an every day basis."

Share and discuss “RCAHppella #TBT show to take place Thursday” on social media.