Tuesday, October 8, 2024

Heavier police presence felt at area bars

“Basically, two cops walked in at Rick’s and spoke to the manager for a couple minutes," finance sophomore Matt Luberto said about his experience last weekend. "And on their way out, they asked two girls for their IDs, and ended up charging them.” 

ELPD is equipped with an officer whose sole duty is to enforce alcohol laws in establishments with liquor licenses in East Lansing, and it is that officer’s job to hold bars accountable if they are allowing minors in, East Lansing police Lt. Steve Gonzalez said.

Usually, the liquor enforcement officer will monitor bars on Fridays and Saturdays during the evening, but also ramps up presence during events like MSU football game days and St. Patrick’s Day.

There are 10 college bars in downtown East Lansing where students tend to congregate, according to an Anderson Economic Group executive summary report of land use from 2006.That is a large concentration of bars in a relatively small area, Gonzalez said.

“In a campus setting and one where we have so many places people can get alcohol, we have to make sure we are doing our job to keep those places accountable,” Gonzalez said.

Although Gonzalez said that ELPD doesn’t increase their alcohol enforcement efforts just because it’s the end of the year, a manager at Dublin Square Irish Pub said he had heard of more bars being monitored by ELPD recently from employees at those bars, but declined to comment on the names of those bars.

An employee from Rick’s American Cafe said that he hasn’t noticed an increase in police presence. Rather, it’s been the same throughout the year.

Gonzalez said that ELPD officers reserve the right to enter bars at any time, and can ask for a person to present their ID if they look younger than 21.

He stressed that students need to be aware of the consequences that can occur as a result of using a fake ID.

Being caught with a fake ID in East Lansing can result in a 90-day misdemeanor charge under the city’s Disorderly Conduct Code and fine of no more than $2,000.

Establishments that are found in violation of liquor laws receive consequences from the Michigan Liquor Control Commission and not ELPD, Gonzalez said.

Share and discuss “Heavier police presence felt at area bars” on social media.