Fraternity sends 14-year-old to Disney World

<p>Men's basketball head coach Tom Izzo meets 14 year old Isaac Postma April 22, 2015, at Breslin Center. Postma, of Grand Rapids, Michigan is living with Spinal Muscular Atrophy. Michigan State's Delta Sigma Phi fraternity raised money in conjunction with Janna Kast Believe In Miracles Foundation to send Isaac to Disney World this summer. Kennedy Thatch/The State News</p>

Men's basketball head coach Tom Izzo meets 14 year old Isaac Postma April 22, 2015, at Breslin Center. Postma, of Grand Rapids, Michigan is living with Spinal Muscular Atrophy. Michigan State's Delta Sigma Phi fraternity raised money in conjunction with Janna Kast Believe In Miracles Foundation to send Isaac to Disney World this summer. Kennedy Thatch/The State News

Photo by Kennedy Thatch | The State News

He likes video games and sports. But with spinal muscular atrophy, even basic daily functions are almost impossible for him.

With the help of the brothers in Delta Sigma Phi fraternity, Isaac and his family will be going to Disney World in Florida this summer. It’s a place he has never been before, but always wanted to visit.

Brett Kast, the philanthropy chairman for the fraternity and a journalism junior, said he had the idea to sponsor a child through the Jenna Kast Believe In Miracles Foundation, which was started in honor of Brett Kast’s sister, who had brain cancer. His mother, Paula Kast, is the president of the foundation and helped connect the fraternity brothers with Isaac.

“I talked to my mom and said, ‘Hey, we’re looking to sponsor a kid ... a boy age 5 to 15’ and she came across Isaac,” Brett Kast said. “He’s a huge Michigan State fan and thought he would be a perfect fit.”

The foundation is similar to the Make-A-Wish Foundation, except it helps grant wishes for a wider age range of kids only from Michigan.

The brothers raised thousands during an annual philanthropy event to make one of Isaac’s wishes come true.

Brett Kast said he was happy this opportunity allowed the brothers to meet Isaac and see the affect their fundraising had.

“A lot of times, you do fundraisers and you donate to a big organization and you really don’t know where it went or what they do with it,” Brett Kast said. “It creates a personal relationship between (Isaac) and our brothers and I think the personable aspect of it is really special, too.”

And the trip to Disney World isn’t the only wish they helped grant.

Isaac and his mother, Deb Postma, made the trip to East Lansing to meet the brothers of the fraternity and were surprised with a few other visitors.

Isaac was introduced to football head coach Mark Dantonio, junior quarterback Connor Cook and junior defensive end Shilique Calhoun and also received a tour of the football players’ locker room.

After he met with the fraternity brothers at Breslin Center he was also greeted by men’s basketball head coach Tom Izzo, who then gave him a tour of the basketball players’ locker room.

“He loves MSU. As we were driving through, he said, ‘How many years till I get to come here?’” Deb Postma said.

Nate Greeley, one of Isaac’s cousins and an agribusiness management senior, said as a member of another greek organization, it’s nice to see the brothers of Delta Sigma Phi take the time to make some of Isaac’s wishes come true.

“It means everything to me and I know it means everything to him,” Greeley said. “They’ve been so kind and so selfless. ... I’m really impressed by everything they’ve done.”

Deb Postma said Isaac loves to be around people. She said some families with a child who has disabilities aren’t able to get out much, but meeting and interacting with others is right up Isaac’s alley.

“It’s great to see young people that are willing to help and have a heart,” Deb Postma said.

Share and discuss “Fraternity sends 14-year-old to Disney World” on social media.