Macgarrett Kings Jr. has charges reduced to a civil infraction

<p>Junior wide receiver Macgarrett Kings Jr. runs the ball down the field Oct. 4, 2014, during the game against Nebraska at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Cornhuskers, 27-22. Erin Hampton/The State News</p>

Junior wide receiver Macgarrett Kings Jr. runs the ball down the field Oct. 4, 2014, during the game against Nebraska at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Cornhuskers, 27-22. Erin Hampton/The State News

Photo by Erin Hampton | The State News

More than a month has passed since the February 28 incident involving the arrest of MSU wide receiver Macgarrett Kings Jr. in the East Lansing area. Now, after taking a plea during the end of March, Kings has pleaded guilty to littering in public, according to the Detroit Free Press, which is a civil infraction. 

Kings was initially accused of kicking a Parking and Code Enforcement vehicle and resisting arrest, but it appears the charges were reduced as a result of the plea deal.

It was the second time in a year's span in which Kings has had a run in with law enforcement. He was placed into custody in April of last year after recording a blood-alcohol level of 0.234, which led to his suspension from the team by head coach Mark Dantonio. 

The Detroit Free Press reports that Kings paid $360 to cover any fines and costs, as well as ordered to attend 20 alcohol counseling sessions. A pretrial hearing was scheduled for Thursday, before the plea deal was handed to Kings. 

The Fort Lauderdale, Florida native was seen at practice two days after he took the plea deal on March 26. He will now be in competition for the starting job on the outside with the likes of Aaron Burbridge and AJ Troup. 

As a junior last season, Kings tied for second on the team with 29 receptions for 404 yards receiving. He also finished seventh in the Big Ten with 122 punt returns yards on 20 attempts. 

Share and discuss “Macgarrett Kings Jr. has charges reduced to a civil infraction” on social media.