Students seek out cheaper alternatives to top brand names

Music education freshman Anna Bolton donned a Victoria’s Secret Pink shirt during the interview, had her keys linked to a Vera Bradley wallet and draped a North Face jacket on her chair. Although there is an occasional “splurge,” she said she tends to buy look-a-likes of popular name-brand products and shoes.

Bolton bought a pair of Forever Young rainboots on Amazon, which resemble Hunter boots, for $30.

“Being here (at MSU), a lot of people have the stereotypical brand name. I feel like you walk around campus and see a lot of people with the Hunter boots and North Face vests.”

The Forever Young brand has the logo on the middle top of the boot and a buckle that strapped around the sides.

“I think they would have worked just as good as the Hunter boots,” Bolton said.

She also has a pair of Bobs, the Sketcher’s version of Toms sneakers, that she bought because of the reduced price.

When it comes to winter boots, supply chain management senior Brittany Woods had better luck with Bearpaw boots than Uggs. She decided to buy a pair of off-brands after she wore her Ugg boots out from walking around campus.

“I can tell a very little difference,” she said. “The Bearpaws are heavier and the fur is different ... The (rubber on the bottom of the) Bearpaws actually lasted longer.”

The price difference between the average pair of Bearpaws and Uggs is about $100.

Bolton said she doesn’t find it worth it to invest too much into solely name-brand clothing.

“For me, I don’t choose to spend my money that way,” Bolton said. “If it’s cute, I’ll buy it.”

Some students, in an effort to have status by displaying luxury brands, turn to knock-offs that don’t conceal their attempts to replicate the authentic products.

When his brother returned from a trip abroad from Southeast Asia, communication junior Lucas Belanger received a knock-off Louis Vuitton belt and Burberry T-shirts. Compared to the Gucci belts he owns, he said the quality of the fakes did not compare.

He said the belt felt more like plastic than leather and that the belt holes wore out quickly.

For the Burberry shirts, he said he can also tell the difference, saying they are of higher quality and have a similar looking logo.

Share and discuss “Students seek out cheaper alternatives to top brand names” on social media.