Police investigating identity theft, credit card fraud

Identity Theft

A 50-year-old female employee was the victim of identity theft reported to police on Feb. 18. She received a letter from the IRS in regards to an income tax return although she had not yet filed her returns. After contacting the IRS, they were able to stop the fraudulent returns with no loss to the victim. There are no suspects in the incident, MSU police Sgt. Florene McGlothian-Taylor said. 

Assault and Battery 

A dispute in a dorm room in Abbot Hall on Feb. 19 resulted in a report to MSU police for a simple assault and battery. The victim was an 18-year-old female student and the crime was witnessed by another 18-year-old female student. 

The victim was in her room with her roommate and her friend, a male suspect, when he asked to see an item belonging to the victim. After refusing him, he became angry and she closed his computer and asked him to leave, at which point he shoved her. No injuries were sustained by the victim and she does not want to press charges, MSU police said.

Credit Card Fraud

MSU police responded to a report of credit card fraud on Feb. 17. The victim, a 21-year-old female student was notified by her father about suspicious withdrawals made out of state for $1,000 each. She was unaware of the charges and filed a police report. The case is under investigation by MSU police.

Assault

Police were dispatched Olin Health Center for an assault reported on Feb. 17. The victim was a 22-year old female student who reported that her ex-boyfriend was threatening her. She claimed to receive phone calls from the suspect after he was told by police to stop, although the ex-boyfriend claims not to have made the threatening calls.

The victim filed for a personal protection order and the suspect was informed of the penalties he would receive if he violated it, MSU police Sgt. Florene McGlothian-Taylor said. 

Share and discuss “Police investigating identity theft, credit card fraud” on social media.