MSU focuses on community engagement for RecycleMania

This is the fourth year MSU will participate in the competition, which is between more than 400 colleges and universities across the U.S.

RecycleMania at MSU will continue through February and most of March and end on March 28.

Waste reduction coordinator Dave Smith said in previous years that a goal of recycling 1 million tons of recyclable material was set, but the goal for this year is different.

Instead, Smith said more is being done to raise student interest and get them involved in recycling around campus.

“Our goal is to engage students and not worry so much about the numbers,” Smith said.

He said he thinks spurring student involvement in recycling will help continue them doing so even after the competition has ended.

“If we can reach out to students, talk to students, get students excited ... we think that will pay dividends throughout the year,” Smith said.

Brad Kurzynowski, student recycling coordinator and environmental science and management junior, said having the competition and getting students involved will help to reach the sustainability goals set by the university.

“I think RecycleMania is a great way to at least be part of recycling,” Kurzynowski said.

Part of the competition includes the “get caught green-handed” initiative which will reward students who are caught properly recycling.

Kurzynowski said prizes could include coupons to free beverages or a dollar amount off of a concession item at a sporting event.

MSU Sustainability will set up tables in high traffic areas with more information about what can be recycled and how, through interactive displays and recycling-related activities.

Kayla Iansiti, communications manager for MSU Sustainability, said faculty and staff are also welcome to take part in the competition.

“Additionally, we will encourage faculty and staff to participate by scheduling an office clean-out,” Iansiti said in an email. “The Surplus Store and Recycling Center have everything you need to host your own office clean-out and offer a variety of containers and methods to fit your needs.”

Smith said the Recycling Center will send hampers in which recyclables can be put to the departments who express interest in the office clean-out.

He also said the Recycling Center will additionally provide free document shredding.

An electronics collection will also be held for the public March 25 from 3:30 p.m. to 7 p.m.

Kurzynowski said he hopes to see the MSU community involved, even after the competition ends, because of the importance behind being more sustainable as a university.

“Recycling as a whole is a key part of sustainability,” Kurzynowski said.

Share and discuss “MSU focuses on community engagement for RecycleMania ” on social media.