Sunday, September 22, 2024

Bars hunker down for winter, with little dip in business

<p>Students brave the cold Jan 30, 2015, outside Rick's American Cafe 224 Abbot Rd East Lansing. Kennedy Thatch/The State News. </p>

Students brave the cold Jan 30, 2015, outside Rick's American Cafe 224 Abbot Rd East Lansing. Kennedy Thatch/The State News.

Brent Gallert, manager of Harper’s, emphasized that business is going great despite the inclement weather.

“We have a patio that we close ... but in terms of capacity inside of our actual restaurant business hasn’t gone down at all,” he explained.

He went on to say that “(Harper’s is) in a pretty premier location, so our flow is not affected at all. And the bigger the venue in East Lansing the better because people want to be where all of the people are so we’re doing really well.”

While Harper’s relies on their prime location and spacious venue, some bars have other tactics for keeping business flowing in the winter. Dublin Square Irish Pub, another popular venue, features a “ winter cocktail menu with some warmer stuff on it,” according to manager Tim Kole.

Regardless of the enthusiasm of the bar managers, some students displayed apprehension about going out in the frigid climate. One major deterrent for students is the long lines they have to wait in to get into the bars, according to education senior Alex Pantoja.

Pantoja explained that he was less likely to go out to the bars in the winter, and that the lines are a major repellent for students, especially in colder months.

Contrary to the sentiments of the bar managers, Pantoja also said that he has noticed a decline in numbers when he ventures out, saying that “people stay inside where it’s more convenient.”

Students also said that when going out, the most common form of transportation used was walking. In temperatures lower than 20 degrees Fahrenheit, students can get frostbite if exposed to outside air for longer than a few minutes.

So while bar managers seem convinced that frigid temperatures have little to no impact on their business, it would appear that some of their patrons will be waiting until spring to revisit their favorite spots.

Share and discuss “Bars hunker down for winter, with little dip in business” on social media.