MSU a surprise pick for Cotton Bowl

All signs pointed to the Orange Bowl, but MSU will be spending New Year's Day in Dallas

<p>Head Coach Mark Dantonio directs his team Nov. 22, 2014, during the game against Rutgers at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Scarlet Knights, 45-3. Aerika Williams/The State News </p>

Head Coach Mark Dantonio directs his team Nov. 22, 2014, during the game against Rutgers at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Scarlet Knights, 45-3. Aerika Williams/The State News

After it appeared to be a virtual lock that No. 8 MSU (10-2 overall) was heading to South Beach for New Year’s Day, the selection committee threw a curveball as now the Spartans can set their sights on the Lone Star State this holiday season.

MSU will take on No. 5 Baylor (11-1 overall) in the Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic on New Year’s Day in Arlington, Texas at AT&T Stadium. Kickoff between the Spartans and Bears is set for 12:30 p.m. on Jan. 1, 2015. The announcement was made Sunday afternoon moments before 3 p.m. with the final College Football Playoff Rankings playing a role in the process.

MSU was leapfrogged in the final poll by No. 7 Mississippi State, who snagged the automatic bid to the Capital One Orange Bowl.

The trip to the “Jerry Dome” will be MSU’s first ever Cotton Bowl appearance and only the program’s second time meeting Baylor. MSU won the first meeting back in 1968, 28-10, at home.

Baylor finished the season with only one loss and was kept out of the inaugural College Football Playoff as the first team out. Baylor’s lone loss came on Oct. 18 at West Virginia.

Head coach Mark Dantonio is expected to address the media later this evening on MSU’s bowl game destination, so check back later for continued coverage.

Share and discuss “MSU a surprise pick for Cotton Bowl” on social media.