Volleyball defeats Northwestern in straight sets at Jenison Field House

It was professor appreciation night at Jenison Field House, but the MSU volleyball team was the one teaching the lesson on Saturday.

“We played clean volleyball,” senior libero and team co-captain Kori Moster said. “We played as a team, which is something that we’ve been talking about a lot.”

Needing only a hour and twenty minutes, MSU (13-10 overall, 6-6 Big Ten) put on a clinic against Northwestern (14-8 overall, 4-8 Big Ten), defeating the Wildcats in straight sets, 3-0 (25-17, 25-18, 25-16).

The Spartans raced to a fast start in the opening set, taking eight of the first 10 points.

MSU was able to cruise from there, winning the first set, 25-17.

The second set was much of the same for the Spartans, who jumped out to a 7-2 lead courtesy of a couple of Northwestern service errors and kills by freshman middle blocker Alyssa Garvelink.

Garvelink had a total of six kills on the night.

With the exception of two ties, the Spartans led throughout the entire second set en route to a 25-18 victory.

The Spartans didn’t waste any time in the third set, MSU took the first four points and never trailed going forward.

It was fitting that senior middle blocker Jazmine White clinched the sweep and 25-16 set win with a block.

White was a force all night long and did a little bit of everything. She finished with a career-best 11 kills, which was tied for a team-high with sophomore outside hitter Chloe Reinig, three digs and two service aces.

“Jaz White really had a great night,” head coach Cathy George said. “She did a really nice job of following her assignments and getting open for her kills.”

White also hit at a .529 clip, which was her second highest percentage of the season. 

“It feels great,” White said. “We knew they were going to focus on Chloe, we knew our middles could have a good night.”

Reinig was also able to get her customary numbers, posting double digit kills for the second consecutive night and the eleventh time in twelve games.

MSU is off until next Friday, when they play against Minnesota (14-8 overall, 4-7 Big Ten) at Jenison Field House. 

Share and discuss “Volleyball defeats Northwestern in straight sets at Jenison Field House” on social media.