Final teen sentenced with first degree murder of MSU sophomore Dustyn Frolka

<p>Brendan Heim who was charged with the death of MSU student Dustyn Frolka appeared in court Nov. 24, 2014, at Clinton County Circuit Court, in St. Johns, Mich. Heim was sentenced to 32 1/2 to 60 years in prison for first-degree murder. Aerika Williams/The State News </p>

Brendan Heim who was charged with the death of MSU student Dustyn Frolka appeared in court Nov. 24, 2014, at Clinton County Circuit Court, in St. Johns, Mich. Heim was sentenced to 32 1/2 to 60 years in prison for first-degree murder. Aerika Williams/The State News

ST. JOHNS — Brendan Heim, the third and final teen charged with the death of marketing sophomore Dustyn Frolka, was sentenced today in Clinton County Court to between 32 1/2 and 60 years in prison for first-degree murder.

Frolka, who was known as a rapper in the MSU community and had an infant daughter, was killed after a drug-related robbery gone wrong on Feb. 15, according to previous testimony. Heim and two accomplices, Samantha Grigg and Tyrel Bredernitz, both Saline, Mich., teens, lured Frolka into Grigg’s car where the trio proceeded to beat him with brass knuckles and rob him.

Frolka jumped from the moving car onto a stretch of I-69 in Bath Township, where he was repeatedly beaten and robbed. Frolka was found partially clothed and in respiratory distress in the frigid February weather. He was later pronounced dead after being taken to Lansing’s Sparrow Hospital.

Heim’s attorney said Heim, 16 at the time of the attack, was heavily involved in “drug culture” that was prevalent in Saline, and was remorseful for his actions.

“I have a lot of things I’d like to say, but nothing I say will ever be sufficient,” Heim said. "I took a son, brother, dad, cousin, away from this world and that debt can never be repaid."

Heim’s attorney said he also struggled with his mental health in addition to his drug problems.

On the night of his death, Frolka hinted on Twitter he had plans to use DMT, an intense hallucinogenic drug.

“I’ve never done DMT and tonight is about to change s***,” the tweet read.

As always, Frolka’s family was present in the courtroom and spoke during Heim’s sentencing, attempting to persuade Clinton County Court Judge Randy Tahvonen to impose the maximum sentence.

“My son will no longer be with us and be part of our lives,” said Eileen Hincka, Frolka’s stepmother. “All of our lives have changed. Dustyn will forever be 19.”

Frolka's sister, Colleen Hincka, shared her grief in losing her brother.

“We’re told he (Heim) should have a second chance for a future, while the fact is he took someone else’s away,” she said.

Colleen Hincka also took time to thank the police officers involved in “bringing these three to justice."

“We can now move on with the knowledge this will never happened to another family,” she said.

Frolka’s family declined any further comment.

Tahvonen said he took many factors into consideration when deciding the sentence.

“You hope the outcomes in this court help people move forward in their lives,” he said to Heim in court. “But death is now a part of their lives. And yours, too."

Grigg was sentenced to six to 15 years in May after pleading guilty to manslaughter and unarmed robbery. Bredernitz was sentenced earlier this month, and will serve a minimum of 25 years in prison.

Share and discuss “Final teen sentenced with first degree murder of MSU sophomore Dustyn Frolka” on social media.