Sunday, June 16, 2024

Weather forecast looks dreary for Nebraska game

Friday morning MSU students trekked through dreary rain to class, umbrellas in hand, raincoats on, all leading to the question — will tomorrow be a “beautiful day for football?”

Unfortunately, Saturday is forecasted to be even worse than Friday when No. 10 MSU (3-1 overall) takes on No. 19 Nebraska (5-0 overall) in an 8 p.m. kickoff.

According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, there will be an 80 percent chance of rain for most of the day, and as the Spartans take the field temperatures are expected to drop to between 41 and 44 degrees fahrenheit, with a 40 percent chance of rain.

According to gameday.msu.edu, in the event of heavy rain, Munn Field will be closed and Spartan fans will be asked to park in Ramp 1 next to the MSU College of Law, Ramp 3 next to the Wharton Center or Ramp 5 next to the Communication Arts and Sciences building. Tailgaters will be asked to relocate to Lot 89 on the corner of Farm Lane and Mount Hope Road.

Guests can bring blankets and rain apparel into Spartan Stadium, but umbrellas are not permitted and will be taken at the gate.

During football games at Spartan Stadium, MSU officials closely monitor the weather situation and if there is severe weather, MSU police have instituted evacuation plans for those in the stadium.

MSU police Cpt. Penny Fischer said the weahter is monitored closely and the evacuation plan is in place for every game "rain, snow or not."

"At this time there is not any severe weather predictions but that can come up at any moment," Fischer said. "We have a plan ready, messages to send out and people staged for when or if that happens."

Share and discuss “Weather forecast looks dreary for Nebraska game” on social media.