"A beautiful human being"

Friends, greek community pays tribute to accounting senior Morgan McGregor

<p>Dietetics senior Hannah Byrne, right, hugs hospitality business junior Ashley Day on Sept. 28, 2014, during accounting senior Morgan McGregor's memorial at the Rock on Farm Lane. McGregor was pacemaker dependent. Erin Hampton/The State News</p>

Dietetics senior Hannah Byrne, right, hugs hospitality business junior Ashley Day on Sept. 28, 2014, during accounting senior Morgan McGregor's memorial at the Rock on Farm Lane. McGregor was pacemaker dependent. Erin Hampton/The State News

Photo by Erin Hampton | The State News

Update, 10:00 a.m.

According to a statement released Monday morning, East Lansing police believe McGregor died of "natural" causes.

Flowers, blue and purple paint and glittery initials decorated the rock on Farm Lane on Sunday as members of Pi Beta Phi sorority and other greek life members gathered to mourn the loss of accounting senior Morgan McGregor, who was found unresponsive on the 300 block of Grove Street Saturday at 4:40 p.m.

Pi Beta Phi President Rebecca Ruhlman and multiple other sorority members wore Pi Beta Phi shirts, offered hugs and tissues and closed the memorial with a sorority song to show their sisterhood with McGregor, who had been a sister since 2012.

In a statement released by the sorority, Ruhlman said "our hearts are broken, and we send our deepest condolences to Morgan’s family."

Renee McGregor, Morgan McGregor’s mother, said she drove to East Lansing to see the memorial for her daughter at the rock.

“My daughter was a beautiful human being — she was talented, hardworking,” she said. “I’ve suffered a great loss.”

She confirmed Morgan had a pacemaker device implanted and a history of heart problems.

Her death was sudden and unexpected. Morgan had recently posted pictures of an ultrasound of her heart taken in 2013 on Twitter, with the caption “One year ago today! #happy and #healthy.”

Although results are not in from a medical examiner, Renee McGregor said Morgan was “not a victim of a crime, and she did not harm herself.”

Morgan was accepted into MSU’s accounting program in May, according to her Facebook profile, an achievement she was extremely proud of.

A number of other Pi Beta Phi members also reflected on the passing of their sister, reminiscing on her sense of humor and love of life.

"She was a girl full of life, love, and complete craziness who made everyone around her feel happy," economics senior Cailin Nylen said in the statement. "She was my best friend and someone I could always count on to make me laugh, smile, go to Starbucks with or just sit there in silence with me. 

I would give anything to sit and talk with her one last time, but I will never forget and will always feel so blessed to have the amazing memories the two of us made in our short time together."

Ruhlman also asked for privacy for the sorority.

"We are very appreciative of everyone’s thoughts and prayers, but ask for privacy as we work through this very difficult time, together as a chapter," Ruhlman said.

East Lansing police are still investigating McGregor’s death, but do not suspect foul play. 

Share and discuss “"A beautiful human being"” on social media.