Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Men's soccer road game against Illinois-Chicago ends in 0-0 tie

September 6, 2014

The men’s soccer team tied with Illinois-Chicago on Saturday, 0-0, after neither team could manage to put one through in overtime. The game was initially planned for Sept. 5 but was postponed due to inclement weather in Chicago.

The Spartans first game away from DeMartin Soccer Stadium saw the team struggle to generate any offense. Both teams failed to score a goal for the first time in each of their respective seasons, as both teams were previously unbeaten.

This 0-0 tie marks the first time this year that MSU saw a game go into overtime. While this may have been the Spartans first overtime game, the Flames found themselves in familiar territory with their first game of the year against Cal State Fullerton resulting in a 3-2 victory in overtime.

MSU managed to get off nine shots in total in the game with four in the first half, two in the second half, two in the first overtime and one in the second overtime compared to UIC’s 11 shots with four in the first half, five in the second half, none in the first overtime and two in the second overtime. 

Despite an advantage on shots it would appear the Spartans had the closer opportunities as the Flames had to make four saves compared to MSU’s one.

Despite a tie not being the ideal result for the Spartans there are positives that can be taken out of today’s performance. Through three games, MSU has yet to concede a goal in this early part of the season. While the offense may need to make adjustments to prepare for the next game, the defense and junior goalkeeper Zach Bennett will hope to keep things status quo.

The Spartans will head back hope for their next game scheduled against Valparaiso on Sept. 11 at 5 p.m. in East Lansing. Entry to the games is free for students with a valid ID.

Support student media! Please consider donating to The State News and help fund the future of journalism.


Share and discuss “Men's soccer road game against Illinois-Chicago ends in 0-0 tie” on social media.