Monday, October 28, 2024

College of Engineering sees largest freshmen class yet

MSU’s freshmen class has made recording-breaking news within the College of Engineering this year.

Based on last year’s freshmen class of 1,300, this year it’s increased by nearly a hundred more students declaring an engineering major.

Academic Director of CoRe in the College of Engineering Timothy Hinds said it’s the job market that has influenced students to major in engineering.

“We’ve been seeing an increase in most engineering colleges across the country,” Hinds said. “One big reason is the job market is so strong in this field, it’s guaranteed a job.”

Hinds teaches the engineering design course, which gives students a great insight on engineering.

“They work on hands-on projects in teams to develop engineering skills,” Hinds said. “It’s a great course for engineering majors.”

Technology over the past few years also has had major influence on incoming freshmen students, said Thomas Wolff, Associate Dean for Undergraduate Studies in the College of Engineering.

“Everyone is seeing articles in science technology, technical work and other paths in engineering across the nation,” Wolff said. “It’s letting students know about it. After the recession in 2008, more are looking into career paths like engineering or nursing.”

Women also have shown an increase in enrollment in the College of Engineering, said Judy Cordes, Director for Women in Engineering Program.

“More women are looking at it as a new career path,” Cordes said. “Female students are getting more involved and a lot of the news is national to help draw women into the field.”

Cordes also mentioned one of the reasons why women in the field of engineering continue to increase is due to their families.

“I think women are underrepresented in engineering across colleges in the U.S. and programs such as the Women in Engineering program try to increase and bring more women into the field,” Cordes said. “Many families in Michigan are in engineering and I believe the reason women are interested in engineering is because they see it through their families.”

Although there won’t be an official count for the incoming freshmen class in engineering for a couple more weeks, Wolff states why the ultimate goal to find students in engineering is key.

“Engineering is looking for more diversity,” Wolff said. “We need all good engineers, all colors, all ethnicities, who like what they do, and that’s so far been seen this year.”

Share and discuss “College of Engineering sees largest freshmen class yet” on social media.