Monday, September 23, 2024

Work has yet to begin on CATA's transit station after new delays

The construction, slated to start in the summer of 2014, is currently halted while a construction vendor is chosen.

The project will demolish the exiting buildings on Trowbridge Road and create a “multi-modal facility” which will range from 7,000 and 10,000 square feet in area.

The Capital Area Transit Authority, or CATA, is in charge of the redevelopment for the project. The project was announced in July 2012 and originally planned to begin in August 2013.

But the project was delayed until the $6.28 million of grant money from the U.S. Department of Transportation was received.

After the money was received, CATA began accepting bids for the “demolition of four existing buildings located at the site, construction of a new multi-modal facility, parking lot, covered waiting area, covered bus boarding areas and underground utilities,” according to their website.

The cost of the entire project was estimated to be between $5 million and $5.5 million, but the lowest bid by any company was from Grand Rapids’ Beckering Construction Inc., who said the project could be completed for $6.9 million.

After original bids came in above plans, CATA reopened the submission of bids for construction vendors.

“Plans and specs were made available on April 21 through Commercial Blueprint. Bids are due May 21,” CATA’s Director of Marketing Laurie Robison said. “The construction budget will still stay at $5 million.”

Although the deadline for submissions has ended, CATA is still in the process of choosing a vendor. So far, no information has been released about the second batch of bidders or their estimates.

CATA officials declined to comment on how the summer 2014 timeline would be affected by the second round of bidding.

Once a bid is finally chosen by CATA, demolition of the station can finally begin. The site where the train station stands is owned by MSU, not by the city.

“Because it’s on MSU property, it does not have to go through the city’s planning process. It won’t have to go to planning commission or city council review,” East Lansing Community & Economic Development Administrator Lori Mullins said.

MSU officials deferred all question to CATA’s representatives.

During the construction process, the train station will still be accessible. A temporary facility will be used with a small parking area for riders.

According to the current timeline given by CATA, the project should be completed by mid-2015.

Share and discuss “Work has yet to begin on CATA's transit station after new delays” on social media.