Sunday, June 16, 2024

CRMC president's ouster announced in cryptic email

CRMC is one of the largest rental companies in East Lansing and deals mainly with MSU students.

It is unknown why Olson was “relieved of all duties” at CRMC or who will replace him.

CRMC sent an email Tuesday afternoon informing residents of the change and specifying that “Mr. Olson no longer works for CRMC in any regard.”

Jeff Wells , one of the principles with CRMC said the company does not discuss employee firing, but wanted to reassure residents that they will be taken care of.

According to CRMC's website, all leases were signed with Olson, and "David personally meets with student groups renting a house to get to know you and your roommates," the website said.

Wells said although Olson did sign some leases, two or three other employees are able to sign leases in the interim. There is no inclination as to who will replace Olson, Wells said.

Students provided differing views about Olson's relations with lessees. 

In August 2013, heavy rains caused flooding in the bottom of a CRMC apartment building  with underground parking   on Louis Street ,  damaging 14 residents' cars. 

2014 MSU alumna Annie Harrelson lived in the Louis St. apartments last year. Her car was totaled after the flooding, but said  the company had always been helpful and friendly before.

“I just felt that CRMC did not handle it in the best way, not showing up the night it occurred, not caring to ask whose cars were damaged,” Harrelson said. “I lost my car and had to use my own money to get a new one, with no help from CRMC. When speaking with David, he blamed the rain and said there was nothing he could do.”

Wells said the Louis Street building was up to all codes and said the City of East Lansing’s drainage system was not equipped to handle the downpour. Wells added the handling of that incident was not related to Olson’s departure.

Kinesiology senior Ian Meador lives on Albert Street in a CRMC home and said he had positive experiences with CRMC, and met Olson when he signed his lease. Besides the “overworked” staff at the main office, Meador enjoyed renting from CRMC.

“He (Olson) seemed like a pretty cool dude,” Meador said. “He told us he was going to make some changes and make things better. I actually feel bad for him.”

Share and discuss “CRMC president's ouster announced in cryptic email” on social media.