Surplus Store accepts donations during Community ReUse days

She said everything she owns is recyclable, but she noted she doesn’t feel the need to recycle for herself. She recycles for the benefit of future generations.

“When I die, I want you to have a place to live,” White said. “I want there to be a world.”

White was one of many participants in Monday’s kickoff to MSU’s Community ReUse Days. The weeklong event at the MSU Surplus Store will last until Saturday.

During the weekdays, the event will go from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. and from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday.

The Surplus Store will be accepting donations of all unwanted items, including household electronics, computers and televisions, furniture, sporting goods, scrap metal and kitchen appliances.

The store will not accept hazardous waste, alkaline batteries, chemicals, cleaning supplies, mattresses and clothing.

The main purpose of the event is to take unwanted belongings off the hands of community members to ultimately keep them out of landfills, MSU Surplus Store Sales Manager Tom March said.

“For all the things you normally have a hard time getting rid of, this is a time that we will take that,” March said.

MSU alumnus and Dexter, Mich., resident Levi Clark said he tries to do all of his shopping at resale shops and sales.

“I don’t know why people need to buy brand new things when there’s more than enough in the world right now,” Clark said.

Last year, MSU Surplus Store collected 15,395 pounds of unwanted materials during their ReUse Days. March said last year was a very slow year and said they collected around 30,000 pounds the year before.

MSU’s Community ReUse Days takes place twice during the scho ol year — once in the fall and once during Earth Week.

MSU Surplus Store Operations Coordinator Lance Young said part of ReUse Days is instilling better habits into the community.

“It’s important to get the idea in everybody’s head to recycle instead of throwing everything away,” Young said.

Share and discuss “Surplus Store accepts donations during Community ReUse days” on social media.