Art for the ages

<p>Watercolor artist and instructor Barb Stevens laughs during her intermediate watercolor class April 16, 2014, at Art Unlimited, 4692 Okemos Road in Okemos. Stevens has painted watercolors for over 15 years. Julia Nagy/The State News</p>

Watercolor artist and instructor Barb Stevens laughs during her intermediate watercolor class April 16, 2014, at Art Unlimited, 4692 Okemos Road in Okemos. Stevens has painted watercolors for over 15 years. Julia Nagy/The State News

Photo by Julia Nagy | The State News

H usband issues? No problem.

Health issues? They’ve got an answer.

The ladies of Barb Stevens’ intermediate watercolor class on Wednesday s at Art Unlimited in Okemos talk about it all while helping each other grow as painters.

As each woman arrives, setting up their stations, they all mingle with one another and ask about each others’ work.

They swap paints and offer feedback. They discuss backgrounds and composition. The art becomes a collaborative process.

Watercolor artist and instructor Stevens has led the class for seven years. Before this, she was an elementary school teacher for 33 years.

“We love it when kids get it,” Stevens said. “So now, working with adults, when they get excited about it, then it’s very satisfying.”

Okemos resident Kate Johnson, a student in the class, said Stevens always tries to make sure everyone in the class is on the same page before she moves forward on new material.

“Barb has always done a thorough presentation when she introduces us to our next lessons,” Johnson said.

Share and discuss “Art for the ages” on social media.