Letter: It’s wrong to say East Neighborhood is the worst place to live on campus

I realize you are expressing your opinion and am sorry you feel that way. I lived in Holmes as one of the Lyman Briggs kids you mentioned and absolutely loved it. Sure, Holmes smells like “science” every now and then, but it is part of the charm. Holmes Hall became my home on campus and holds a place in my heart, as some say “Holmes sweet Holmes.”  

Additionally, I considered living in Holmes an honor. John C. Holmes was the guy who essentially decided where MSU, or M.A.C., was going to be located. How many people can say that they lived in the building named for the guy who played such an important role in the history of MSU.  Akers and Hubbard also have their perks too. Where else can you go on campus and see the Capitol building like you can from the 12th floor of Hubbard Hall? I personally recommend trying it. As for Akers Hall, it is wonderfully diverse with people from many cultures. It also has the special rooms where there are four people in a room and they all share a bathroom. I always thought that set up was pretty cool.

As a graduating senior I have very many memories of my time at MSU, none of the strong ones are of the building appearances. With the exception of a few, they all start to look the same after a while. Sure, the new art museum, student services, and old campus are all different but at the end of the day they are all buildings.  What is more important is the memories I made in those buildings or walking past those buildings with my friends.

I have to admit, I am disappointed with this piece. I know it is an opinion piece, but I feel it goes against what it means to be a Spartan. As a member of the Spartan community we support each other in times of need and times of happiness. We celebrate together and we mourn together. We do not tear each other down. This article attacked East Neighborhood. Instead, look for the perks of the neighborhood or write an article about why West Circle is the best in your opinion. As a journalist you have the power to make readers listen and a voice to try to make a difference. Use your voice to bring awareness to positive things on campus or serious issues that need to change.

Go Green!

Katie O’Brien

Animal Science senior, Lyman Briggs College

obrie134@msu.edu

Share and discuss “Letter: It’s wrong to say East Neighborhood is the worst place to live on campus ” on social media.