University officials announce sexual assault awareness efforts

University officials publicly announced new initiatives meant to heighten awareness of student safety, particularly in terms of sexual violence and sexual assault, according to a statement emailed to the MSU community Friday.

In the statement, Office for Inclusion and Intercultural Initiatives Director Paulette Granberry Russell said despite current university efforts in place to protect student safety, “there is more that we can do to educate the MSU community on sexual violence.”

Granberry Russell said representatives from the U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Civil Rights would be on campus Thursday, Feb. 27 to inform the MSU community of the effectiveness of ongoing sexual violence training and programs currently available on campus, as well as the on-campus climate of safety.

The representatives will be on campus to speak to interested students, faculty and staff from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. in Room 112 Olds Hall and from 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m in Room 13 Olds Hall.

In addition to the Office of Civil Rights sessions, the university will host two Spring Break Safety Fairs to prepare students for spring break and educate the community on sexual assault resources and safety.

The first is scheduled from 5:30-7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 25 in The Gallery at Snyder-Phillips, and the second will take place from 5:30-7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 26 in Shaw Hall.

Current sexual assault education and prevention resources include the Sexual Assault First-Year Education program and the Sexual Assault Relationship Violence Prevention session required for incoming freshmen. The university also has a hearing procedure through the Student Judicial Process that addresses sexual harassment violations.

Share and discuss “University officials announce sexual assault awareness efforts” on social media.