Column: With Purdue out of way, MSU can turn towards Wolverines

<p>Sheehan</p>

Sheehan

Editor’s note: This story has been updated to accurately reflect the number of losses each team has in conference play.

Fresh off breaking a school record with 17 3-pointers against Purdue, MSU now can look forward to the main event — Sunday’s game against Michigan.

Spartan fans are hoping their team didn’t burn up all their shooting in a 94-79 victory, because Sunday’s showdown will be pivotal for the Big Ten title.

With both teams sitting on three losses with the season winding down, the winner of this one will slide over into the driver’s seat.

Not only will this swing the Big Ten race one way or another, it could be a chance for MSU to get revenge. With ESPN’s College GameDay visiting earlier in the day, U-M spoiled MSU’s day with a comeback 80-75 victory.

But in Sunday’s episode, MSU will have senior forward Adreian Payne on the court — a hulking presence they didn’t have when the teams squared off in East Lansing. This is terrible news for Michigan, as their big men are some of the most vulnerable in the Big Ten on both sides of the court.

In the last four games, Jon Horford and Jordan Morgan have combined for a meager 6.6 points and 7.5 rebounds. Having Payne’s presence on defense and on the boards will give MSU an advantage, but it’s his offense that will change the game.

Let me put it this way: If Payne has anything short of a field day against U-M’s big men, I will walk back home from Ann Arbor. Actually, make that a crab walk.

When U-M lost to Wisconsin on Sunday, the Badgers big man, Frank Kaminsky, went off for 25 points to go along with his 11 rebounds.

If Kaminsky can light up the Wolverines for that many points, just imagine the unspeakable damage Payne will be able to do. You might want to shield childrens’ eyes.

Then again, if the kids saw what Michigan forward Nik Stauskas did to MSU earlier in the season, they’ve already been exposed to utter domination. After shooting 5-of-6 from behind the arc, Stauskas blew kisses to the unreceptive Breslin Center crowd, like every humble athlete would.

Ever since that display of showmanship, Stauskas has hit a rocky patch. In the last six games, he has averaged just more than 11 points, has only shot 50 percent twice and has attempted 10 or more shots two times as well.

Don’t get me wrong, averaging 11 points is nothing to scoff at, but it’s not “blowing kisses to the crowd” material.

With Gary Harris plastering him the whole game, I would be shocked to see Stauskas break out of this mini funk.

But luckily for the Wolverines, their world doesn’t revolve around Stauskas. Sophomore guard Caris LeVert has scored in double figures five of the last six games.

Glenn Robinson III always is a threat to explode for a big game. You just never know who will be the ones for Michigan to bring them to victory.

However, there is one thing we do know — Sunday’s matchup will be one hell of a basketball game.

Matt Sheehan is a State News basketball reporter. Reach him at msheehan@statenews.com.

Share and discuss “Column: With Purdue out of way, MSU can turn towards Wolverines ” on social media.