MSU ends Rose Bowl drought with victory over Stanford

<p>Sophomore quarterback Connor Cook cheers at the end of the 100th Rose Bowl game against Stanford on Jan. 1, 2014, in Pasadena, Calif. The Spartans defeated the Cardinal, 24-20. Julia Nagy/The State News</p>

Sophomore quarterback Connor Cook cheers at the end of the 100th Rose Bowl game against Stanford on Jan. 1, 2014, in Pasadena, Calif. The Spartans defeated the Cardinal, 24-20. Julia Nagy/The State News

Photo by Julia Nagy | The State News

PASADENA, Calif. – MSU ended its longest Rose Bowl drought since its maiden voyage to Pasadena, Calif., in 1954 with a 24-20 victory against Stanford in the 100th edition of the legendary game.

The Spartans lost the first quarter, but dominated the final three in front of an amped up crowd, most of which was draped in green.

After ceding 146 yards in the first 15 minutes, MSU’s dominant defense clamped down on the Cardinal attack.

Connor Cook was named offensive MVP while Kyler Elsworth, whose fourth-down stop sealed the game, won defensive honors.

The Spartans went into the locker room down 17-14 and out scored the Cardinal 10-3 the rest of the way while virtually stymying their offense attack.

Continue to check statenews.com for coverage of MSU’s Rose Bowl victory.

Share and discuss “MSU ends Rose Bowl drought with victory over Stanford” on social media.