Johnson's strong stat line drives MSU women's basketball win

<p>Junior guard Kiana Johnson shoots a three-pointer during the game against Michigan on Jan. 12, 2014, at Crisler Center in Ann Arbor, Mich. The Spartans defeated the Wolverines, 79-72. Danyelle Morrow/The State News</p>

Junior guard Kiana Johnson shoots a three-pointer during the game against Michigan on Jan. 12, 2014, at Crisler Center in Ann Arbor, Mich. The Spartans defeated the Wolverines, 79-72. Danyelle Morrow/The State News

There were numerous factors that helped MSU overcome Michigan in Ann Arbor on Sunday — timely baskets, perfect free-throw shooting with the game on the line, big performances from several key players on the roster. Arguably no player was more instrumental in the win than junior guard Kiana Johnson.

And that’s been a theme for the season.

Johnson, who scored 12 points, dished four assists and nabbed two steals in the second half against the Wolverines, is one of the biggest reasons why the Spartans (11-5 overall, 3-0 Big Ten) have won five straight games and currently sit atop the Big Ten conference. In her third season, she’s become a more decisive player, running a historically good Spartan offense while maintaining an assist-to-turnover ratio that ranks third nationally.

At the same time, she’s become better at handling her responsibilities as both a scorer and passer.

She’s shooting career-highs both overall and from behind the arc, at 42.7 percent and 35.3 percent, respectively.

At 6.1 assists per game, Johnson ranks among the top-20 passers in the country.

“As you get older, your role changes,” head coach Suzy Merchant said after practice last Wednesday. “As a freshman and sophomore, you’re probably a pass-first point guard because you got upperclassman. This year, she started to realize she needs to be a little more effective for us on the offensive end. Getting other people to score as well is adding another dynamic to our offense. It was what she needed.”

The Spartans are enjoying their best offensive season under Merchant, averaging 76.4 points per game on 45 percent shooting before Sunday. Both numbers are the best of Merchant’s career since arriving as MSU’s head coach in 2007.

Adding to Johnson’s strong junior campaign is MSU’s record when she doesn’t lace up: 0-2. Johnson missed two games with an infection earlier in the season, and the team struggled without the leadership of the starting guard.

It was almost the case yesterday, as an upset stomach limited her effectiveness in the first half. Johnson has mentioned looking up to NBA great Allen Iverson, who was known for his toughness.

Similar to Iverson, it’s been Johnson’s toughness that has helped the team succeed.

“She really sparked us,” said junior forward Becca Mills on Sunday. “When we were down, she was hitting key shots, she was getting steals. She’s a lot of the reason why we pulled this one out.”

Johnson said she’s seen first-hand how her aggressiveness translates into wins. As MSU surges up the standings, that appears to be the game plan as the season progresses.

“I have a lot of people in my ear, from coaches to family and supporters as well,” Johnson said. “They know what I can do, know what I’m capable of and I’ve been holding back. They just want me to be aggressive and be the player I’m capable of.”

Share and discuss “Johnson's strong stat line drives MSU women's basketball win” on social media.