Monday, May 13, 2024

Event focuses on students rights with police

Navigating the tricky landscape surrounding law enforcement often can leave some students stumbling in the dark, but a Wednesday night event looked to shed some light on proper policies and conduct.

A presentation and discussion looked to inform students on their individual legal rights when dealing with law enforcement while educating attendees on various academic and property rights as students and tenants.

The event was organized in part by ASMSU, MSU’s undergraduate student government, and James Madison College Student Senate, among others.

Social relations and policy senior Max Olivero organized the “Know Your Rights” event for the second year in a row and partnered with ASMSU to broaden the program’s educational reach.

Olivero, a James Madison College Student Senate member, said the forum aimed to inform students about medical amnesty a relatively new law that protects minors from receiving minor in possession charges if they call 911 for medical assistance.

“We are giving this presentation as a simple what to do and what not to do when stopped and questioned by law enforcement,” Olivero said. “The East Lansing Police Department can be tricky when they stop and question people, especially students … Students might not know their rights and think they have to let police search them, which is incorrect.”

Student rights, including the right to refuse to give consent to a search, how not to self-incriminate and how to deal with noise violations also were discussed.

ASMSU’s Student Defenders service, which helps students navigate the university judicial system, also was discussed in detail. The presentation was led by ASMSU legal services attorney Miranda Peek.

“I think a lot of students, when they go out, don’t know how to appropriately interact with police when approached,” Peek said.

During the presentation, Peek reminded audience members that all undergraduate students’ tuition covers unlimited usage of ASMSU’s legal services. Peek said that she most often deals with criminal misdemeanors including minor in possession and open alcohol charges.

Share and discuss “Event focuses on students rights with police” on social media.