Sunday, October 6, 2024

Students, community recognize breast cancer month

Young and old, black and white, women and men — breast cancer is a non-discriminatory disease that can effect anyone.

There is no cure and no one knows the cause; however, MSU breast cancer risk assessment expert Mary Smania said those who are battling the disease should not lose hope.

“Breast cancer is a very survivable disease,” Smania said. “Eighty-eight percent of people diagnosed live five or more years.”

Ingham County residents and MSU students are helping to raise breast cancer awareness during the month of October with campus and community events.

As an assistant professor in the College of Human Medicine, Smania, who has lost a grandmother to the breast cancer and has an aunt who is fighting the disease, said her family history of breast cancer is what inspired her to educate herself and others about the disease.

Understanding the disease and detecting it early increases chances of survival, she said.

“It’s so important to get breast cancer screenings, have regular breast exams and get mammograms at the age of 40 and up,” Smania said. “If you notice an abnormality — lumps, nipple discharge, skin or tissue changes in the breast — seek medical attention immediately.”

Although breast cancer can affect anyone, Smania said there are several factors that put someone at a higher risk, such as having a child late in life.

Other factors include hormonal influences, such as starting one’s menstral cycle early, going through previous chest radiation, having alcoholism, being overweight after menopause and having dense breast tissue.

“Just being a woman puts you at greater risk,” Smania said. “White women are more likely to get breast cancer; however, African American women are more likely to die from breast cancer.”

Events to celebrate breast cancer awareness month

The sixth annual It’s a Breast Thing will be held from 5-8 p.m. Tuesday at the Eagle Eye Golf Club at Hawk Hollow in Bath, Mich.

The event will include a bra decorating contest, with about 30 bras decorated by local businesses and individuals. Attendees will vote on the winner the night of the event. The top-12 best-decorated bras will be modeled by local breast cancer survivors in the 2014 It’s a Breast Thing calendar. The event is free, but there is a $5 suggested donation.

At 1:15 p.m. Oct. 5, the MSU Women’s club ice hockey team will host Pink in the Rink at Munn Ice Arena. For the past four years, the team has held the event in October to support breast cancer research and awareness.

This year, the team will play Ohio State University.

About 50 percent of the proceeds will go to the American Cancer Society, and the remainder will go to support the team’s budget.

The team also is selling pink shirts for $15 outside Wells Hall from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. through Friday, and at the game on Saturday.

Team secretary Shelby Myers said having this annual event is important because it supports a cause that is close to her teammates.

“Everyone on the team has a family member that has in someway been affected by breast cancer, so we want to raise awareness and money for the cause,” Myers said.

From 8 a.m. to noon Oct. 5, the MSU HealthTeam’s Clinical Center will offer free breast screenings? for uninsured women in honor of breast cancer awareness month.

On Oct. 26, American Cancer Society’s Making Strides Against Breast Cancer will host its annual 5k breast cancer walk starting at the Capitol in Lansing.

So far, the event has raised nearly $24,000 — an amount that Making Strides specialist Kelly Knupfer said they plan to greatly exceed. The organizers hope to raise $290,000, after bringing in about $270,000 last year.

Share and discuss “Students, community recognize breast cancer month” on social media.