E. Lansing Amtrak revamp delayed

The process of transforming the current East Lansing Amtrak Station into the CATA Multimodal Station can move forward now that the Capital Area Transportation Authority, or CATA, obtained a grant originally announced in July 2012.

Demolition of the current station, located at 1240 S. Harrison Road, was anticipated to begin in August, but Laurie Robison, CATA’s director of marketing, said the project was delayed while CATA waited to receive $6.28 million in federal funding from the U.S. Department of Transportation.

“They might tell you that you get the award, but that doesn’t mean they’ll cut a check right away,” Robison said. “It would be irresponsible to break ground without those dollars.”

The station serves as a boarding point for Amtrak’s Blue Water ine as well as a stop for Greyhound and Indian Trails bus routes.

Michigan’s Department of Transportation and Amtrak each agreed to contribute $500,000 toward the new station.

According to CATA, who are at the helm of the estimated $10.48 million project, the new station will serve as the “transportation gateway to Michigan’s capital region.”

Robison said CATA received the grant on Sept. 16, but preliminary designs of the new station were not yet available.

CATA Assistant Executive Director Debbie Alexander, who is spearheading the project, was not immediately available for comment.

No signs of construction are present at the current station other than signage announcing the plans. During the construction period, which currently is projected to last until 2015, travelers will have access to a temporary facility with seating and ticket sale booths.

The new station will include different amenities such as canopied bus and train platforms, a public waiting area with restrooms and concessions, bike storage and a multi-use gathering space.

Share and discuss “E. Lansing Amtrak revamp delayed ” on social media.