Number One Spot

Ludacris makes Lansing shake their moneymakers to close out Common Ground

<p>Rapper Ludacris, right, performs on stage with Lil&#8217; Fate, July 14, 2013, at Adado Riverfront Park in Lansing during Common Ground Music Festival. This was the last day of the seven-day music event. Justin Wan/The State News</p>

Rapper Ludacris, right, performs on stage with Lil’ Fate, July 14, 2013, at Adado Riverfront Park in Lansing during Common Ground Music Festival. This was the last day of the seven-day music event. Justin Wan/The State News

Photo by Justin Wan | The State News

Editor’s note: Kid Ink’s name has been changed to accurately reflect its spelling.

After an exciting week of intense American rock, melodic acoustics and new-age folk, Common Ground ended with a lyrically charged night of hip-hop that included Ludacris, Kid Ink and Michigan native Jon Connor.

A conflux of common grounders from Michigan and beyond gathered at the front stage to see their hip-hop favorites.

Lansing resident Kristina Kunze said she saw Ludacris in 2010 at Common Ground and returned Sunday night to see the Atlanta-based rapper again.

“I really looked forward to seeing Ludacris,” Kunze said. “I saw him at Common Ground before along with Styx and Foreigner (in previous years).”

Ludacris attracted the largest crowd of the night as patrons danced and sung along to his hit songs from the past decade.

Jon Connor opened with songs from his new album Unconscious State — an album that former X-Factor finalist Lyric Da Queen described as “universal.”

“It’s one of those type of albums that has something on there for everybody regardless of your gender or your age,” Lyric said.

Lyric is featured on the album in the song “Take the World,” which she performed with Connor at Common Ground on Sunday.

“Me and Jon Connor have been rapping together for about 15 years,” she said.

“We grew up together, we’ve been doing this a long time.”

In the nights leading up to the hip-hop themed finale, Barenaked Ladies set a nostalgic 90s mood and triggered doting women to fling their underwear on the main stage.

Lansing resident Tim Agler, who had weeklong passes to the festival said he attends the Common Ground Music Festival every year and his favorite band of the week was Barenaked Ladies.

“I’ve been listening to them for a while and they never disappoint,” Agler said.

On Tuesday the musically inclined “dead” brought Adado Riverfront Park to life with vibrant, terrifying funk. Wrapped in bandages, Here Come the Mummies were arguably the most unique band.

Eaton Rapids, Mich., resident Kim Kenny, who attended Common Ground for the entire week said besides Barenaked Ladies, Here Come the Mummies was her favorite performance of the week.

“I really like Here Come The Mummies, they were really good, and different,” Kenny said.

American rock band Creedence Clearwater Revisited also created a resonant atmosphere on Tuesday performing Creedence Clearwater Revival hits.

Legendary Guns N’ Roses lead guitarist Slash accompanied by Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators performed on the night designated for metal band lovers. Several other metal bands also were in attendance that night, including Lansing’s own DeverauX.

Thursday took a harmonious turn as the vocal quartet Little Big Town carried the country-themed night. Concertgoers came dressed for the occasion in cowboy hats and boots to show their love of country.

The fifth day of Common Ground was electrically charged as headliners MGMT put on a magical performance.

AWOLNATION, Twenty One Pilots and Foxy Shazam also added to the symphonic night.

Saturday night brought out a diversified crowd boasting a strong but mellow folk-rock blend with Avett Brothers, Frontier Ruckus and Josh Ritter and the Royal City Band.

Throughout the week, Lansing Police Sergeant Ellery Sosebee, said the festival was pretty laid-back and he enjoyed seeing the performers.

“It has been pretty tame all week, there were a few issues Friday night but that was because there were some crowd surfers,” Sosebee said.

Sosebee liked being able to see the performers, but there were two acts in particular that he liked the most.

“Of all the performers, I liked seeing Slash and Ludacris,” Sosebee said.

The wide-ranging timbre at Adado Riverfront Park attracted large and varying crowds who united for the love of music, food and fun. This year’s Common Ground Music Festival will be a hard one to top.

To check out a video wrap up from Common Ground, visit our multimedia page.

Share and discuss “Number One Spot” on social media.