Sunday, October 27, 2024

MSU researchers dealing with difficult dog health decisions

<p>Maria Iliopoulou</p>

Maria Iliopoulou

Editor’s note: A name of a source in the story has been changed to reflect the accurate spelling

The hardest decisions to make in life often involve those who are most dear to us, including animals.

MSU researchers have developed a questionnaire aimed at finding common ground between the owner and the veterinarian for helping pet owners make those difficult decisions.

“The study’s goal is to facilitate the human-animal bond under challenging circumstances of a terminal disease,” said lead author Maria Iliopoulou.

Iliopoulou developed the study as a part of her master’s program in MSU’s Comparative Medicine and Integrative Biology program in the Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences, with MSU College of Veterinary Medicine professors Dr. Barbara E. Kitchell and Dr. Vilma Yuzbasiyan-Gurkan. Iliopoulou is also a graduate the College of Veterinary Medicine at MSU, and is currently a doctoral student in the Department of Community, Agriculture, Recreation and Resource Studies.

The questionnaire examines three significant predictors of quality of life — the pet’s playfulness, happiness and signs of sickness. The questionnaire was filled out consistently every three weeks to coincide with chemotherapy visits, Iliopoulou said.

“Some people are not ready to say goodbye,” Iliopoulou said. “Sometimes it’s difficult to find the balance between continuing treatment and stopping treatment.”

Monica Francis, who graduated from MSU in May, is a self-described dog person and owns two Yorkshire terriers. She said it’s important to have the difficult conversations with vets and to understand the best ways to care for their dogs.

“It’s definitely important for veterinarians and owners to communicate well,” Francis said. “It’s important for owners to know the best treatments and care for their dogs.”

Share and discuss “MSU researchers dealing with difficult dog health decisions” on social media.