More MSU graduates are staying in-state

Michigan’s economy has made improvements in the last few years, and graduates from the many Michigan public universities are taking notice.

In a study done by iLabs, the University of Michigan-Dearborn’s Center for Innovation Research, and convened by the Detroit Regional Chamber, 63 percent of graduates from Michigan public universities are electing to stay in-state, which is up from 51 percent in 2007.

“The retention reflects the momentum of our improving economy,” Detroit Regional Chamber Director of Communications James Martinez said.

The study’s 7,054 participants were graduates of Michigan’s 15 public universities, 28 years of age or younger, single, not currently pursuing a degree and born in the United States. The survey was financially supported by the Michigan Economic Development Corporation; Presidents Council, State Universities of Michigan; and the Michigan Municipal League.

According to the study, at least 60,000 degrees were conferred upon graduates each year from 2007 to 2012, increasing annually with 66,207 being awarded in 2012.

“You can’t understate the importance of graduates getting a world-class education in this state,” Martinez said. “Retaining the talent that graduates is key to improving economic vitality.”

While more graduates are staying in-state, Martinez also pointed out that Michigan needs to advertise itself more and market itself to graduates.

“It’s all about getting the message out about the opportunities that are available for graduates,” Martinez said. “It’s about showing graduates what’s available for them here in Michigan.”

MSU students have mixed feelings on job placement, ranging from the attractiveness of a given area to wherever a job is offered.

Alison Swain, who recently graduated this past May, said she wants to get out and see other cities.
“If I could find a job in Michigan, I would stay,” Swain said. “(However) I want to get out and experience new environments.”

James Gray, 24, of East Lansing, who took some time off of school for personal reasons, has no plans to leave the Lansing area after he graduates.

“(Lansing) is a diverse area,” Gray said. “It’s a nice place to raise my son.”

Whatever decision they make, MSU graduates, along with graduates from the other 14 public universities in Michigan, will have a key role in shaping the economic future of this state.

“The decisions that graduates make are critical to our economy going forward,” Martinez said. “Graduate mobility is something we will continue to study in the future.”

Share and discuss “More MSU graduates are staying in-state” on social media.