Friday, September 20, 2024

Make memories out of MSU’s summer sessions

<p>Christian Rafael Suero</p>

Christian Rafael Suero

Editor’s Note: Views expressed in guest columns and letters to the editor reflect the views of the author, not the views of The State News.

It’s that time of the year where the air is cool, the days are hot and construction never seems to end. However, one thing that is ending is the first session of summer classes.

Just like any other semester at Michigan State University, you can identify yourself as either one of the two types of students.

Student A: a student who goes to every lecture, takes very good notes and has a 4.0 on every assignment; or Student B: A student whose daydreams were the only thing keeping them up during class, their notes consist of more drawings than words and they waited an hour before every assignment was due because they honestly could care less.

Although the first summer session is ending, the second one is right around the corner. Going to a study abroad, taking more classes, a new internship or whatever the case might be, it’s a new start. This new start brings in new goals and new desires that hopefully will benefit the individual in the long run.

Personally, I’m ready for this session of summer classes to end so I can again tell myself “I AM GOING TO 4.0 EVERYTHING!” during the second summer session. However the golden rule stands true, “Actions speak louder than words.” So as session two of summer comes near, set your goals, take steps to achieve these goals, and most importantly, set standards for yourself.

My best advice is as follows:

1. Be productive:
Catching up on “Dexter,” rereading Harry Potter or simply being a bum on the couch won’t really help you. Talk to your classmates, fix your notes and study a day or so before your exam.

2. Rest up:
Pulling all-nighters or raging at the bar might sound like fun until you blank on the first 10 questions of your final. Schedule your week, make time for studying and “other festivities” but just remember you get out what you put in. If you want to pass that chemistry or biology class you failed last fall, put in the hours to ensure you will pass.

3. Prioritize class:
If you’re taking classes in the second summer session, be prepared. July and August typically are the worst times to take classes because it’s finally nice out. Do not let the weather, the beach and the summer festivities get the better of your academic affairs. Get a planner, write due dates in your syllabus and do your assignments before you go have fun. The sooner you do your assignments, the sooner you can enjoy the sun.

4. New job or internship:
Arriving 15 minutes before your shift means you are on time, arriving on time means you are late, and if you are late, it’s not a good look. Impress your boss with punctuality, be positive, and most importantly, follow the rule to take things seriously.

Think about this as, “When one door closes, another door opens.” You can control the outcomes of situations in your life. Yes, finals suck. And yes, I’d rather study the bonds of my closest friendships rather than studying hydrogen bonds in chemistry. However you are almost done — just a few short days of torture en route to greener pastures.

No matter what you want your grade to be, take the final and finish strong. It’s also an important time for reflection on the goals of your collegiate career. Next session, what do you want to improve on? How can you become a stronger student? A better person in general?

The memories you want to make, whether it’s on study abroad or at an internship or even taking more classes, make them worthwhile.

Christian Suero is a State News guest columnist. He can be reached at suerochr@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Make memories out of MSU’s summer sessions” on social media.