Local law enforcement competes in blood drive

<p>Chemistry senior John Kanitra lays down while he is donating blood, June 26, 2013, inside Communication Arts and Sciences Building. Blood donors could vote for police or fire department in the Battle for Blood challenge. Justin Wan/The State News</p>

Chemistry senior John Kanitra lays down while he is donating blood, June 26, 2013, inside Communication Arts and Sciences Building. Blood donors could vote for police or fire department in the Battle for Blood challenge. Justin Wan/The State News

Photo by Justin Wan | The State News

The annual Battle for Blood challenge has kicked off with Lansing area police and fire departments competing to see who can get the most votes from donors. The event, which started on Monday, has attracted donors from around the area.

“We think it’s a worthy cause to be able to give blood, especially for people who have universal blood,” MSU Police Sgt. Florene McGlothian-Taylor said. “We’re hoping to get around 100 people (to donate), but even if we only get 10 people, that would be 10 more that did give blood.”

Donors can vote for either “fire” or “police” after they donate blood. The last few years have favored the fire department, with the firemen receiving the most votes.

American Red Cross ran the event, with nine locations contributing to the challenge. People who came out also were entered for a chance to win a “Summer Fun in Michigan” ticket package, which includes two tickets to Michigan’s Adventure, two tickets to the Common Ground Music Festival and two tickets to the August 18 NASCAR race at Michigan International Speedway. People who came out were given either a Red Cross T-shirt or baseball hat.

The goal for the challenge is to raise 250 units, according to Todd Kulman, the communications program manager with the Great Lakes Blood Services Region. One unit is equal to approximately one pint of blood.

“The need for blood is constant. Blood is something that only one person can give to another person,” Kulman said. “The need for blood usage varies depending on the surgery or illness. (Blood) helps people who are going through everyday medical situations”

For example, an open heart surgery could use anywhere from two to six units of blood and a heart transplant could use anywhere from two to four units.

“There’s a lot of accidents, and when someone gets to the hospital, oftentimes blood is the thing that saves their lives,” Kulman said.

In order to give blood, donors must be 17 years old or 16 with parental permission, and must meet the weight requirement of 110 pounds. American Red Cross provides a small physical to make sure donors qualify to donate blood and if they are in good health, the blood will be transferred to a lab where it will be checked for a variety of things.

“You should know that when you come, we’re going to take about an hour total,” American Red Cross Team Supervisor Kenneth Darmer said. “You have the impact on saving three people’s lives by donating a pint of blood. Most of our donors have had themselves or family member receive blood and realize how much of an impact it does make.”

Kulman also said students, who account for about 20 percent of blood donations nationally, go home for the summer and aren’t commonly donating blood.

“People are enjoying summer time and spending time with family,” Kulman said. “More people are traveling (and) the chances for accidents increase. The summertime is challenging, that’s one reason we are holding this. It’s a fun and unique way to boost the blood supply during the summer.”

Share and discuss “Local law enforcement competes in blood drive” on social media.