Sunday, October 27, 2024

MSU summer events, operations offset costs

Even though students go home in the summer, operations at MSU continue to run around the clock in an effort to spread out costs more evenly.

The business the university generates in the summer helps keep operating costs down throughout the calendar year, including room and board.

“It’s run like a hotel,” director of Residence Education and Housing Services Kathy Collins said. “We stay operational year-round, and anything we can do in the summer helps to offset operational costs.”

Residence Education and Housing Services, or REHS, as well as Culinary Services are departments of the Division of Residential and Hospitality Services, or RHS, an auxiliary of MSU. As an auxiliary, they do not receive any funds from tuition and fees or any of the state-support funds, but do receive room and board funding directly, Collins said.

MSU hosts several events throughout the summer, including sports camps, conferences and even the World Finals of the Odyssey of the Mind being hosted this week. The events attract business and help to spread out the operating costs over the course of the year, easing the financial burden placed on students.

“We are very excited to host Odyssey of the Mind,” Collins said. “It’s a great opportunity for us to showcase the campus and the university.”

The MSU Board of Trustees approved a 3.9 percent increase in room and board for the 2013-14 academic year in April; however, the increase was the lowest in 13 years.

“Any additional revenue helps,” said Culinary Services business manager Ken Deneau. “Most outside business comes during dinner or on weekends.”

While the Gallery at Snyder and Phillips halls will stay open due to the students who have been moved to Snyder and Phillips halls in the summer, Brody Square stays open for a different reason — it’s viewed as a destination place to dine.

“Brody (Square) has developed a large following outside of students,” said Executive Chef at Brody Square David Brown. “Faculty, on-campus staff and people from the community come here to eat.”

All of the auxiliary divisions take advantage of the summer, as it is an excellent time for the university to use all the resources at its disposal to showcase what it means to be a Spartan.

“Many Spartans have their first visit on campus during the summer,” said Collins.

When MSU hosts events such as Odyssey of the Mind, all parts of the business must work in unison in order to maximize the assets that are available, Collins said.

“We all work together and use all our resources,” Collins said. “Munn Field, Brody Square, the residence halls, we are all Team MSU.”

Share and discuss “MSU summer events, operations offset costs” on social media.